Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Long time reader, short time poster! Thought it was getting a little slow around here so thought i'd introduce myself etc. Name is Tom, I ride an 2010 Fuel, 09 Soho S, Balfa 2Step, Fisher Simple City, Reynolds 531 restored roadie and a 1999 Scott that I ride to the pub. I previously owned an 08 Fuel 8 (which now belongs to my old man). Im a bit of a fuel fanboy, and between myself and my small riding group, 4 of us have fuels! Anyway, im a freelance designer and uni student from Sydney, Australia. Here is my new bike!

Frame - 2010 Trek Fuel 120mm. Tapered head tube.
Rear shock - 2010 Fox RP2 DCRV
Front shock/fork - 2010 Fox F-Series 120mm
Handlebars - SIC Race 710mm
Saddle - Bontrager RL
Stem - Thomson X4 70mm
Seatpost - Thomson Elite 31.6
Front brake - Avid Elixir
Rear brake - Avid Elixir
Cranks - Shimano XT
Chain - Shimano Yumeya
Pedals - Shimano XT
Front derailleur - Shimani XT
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT
Front shifter - Shimano XT
Rear shifter - Shimano XT
Cassette - Shimano XT
Skewers: Hope Gold
Front hub - Hope Pro 2 Gold
Rear hub - Hope Pro 2 Gold
Front rim - Mavic 719
Rear rim - Mavic 719
Spokes - DT Swiss Champion
Tyres - Continental Mountain King 2.2 Protection
Tubes - Continental
Total weight - 12.8 w/pedals, cage, computer etc.etc.

Thanks Guys,
Tom

·
Registered
348 Posts
That is a very nice looking bike. Nice upgrades with the little yellow/gold accents on the tires, bolts, etc. Congratulations on sweet ride!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have the cash, go a 9 fo sho! The problem is they're so so so god damn expensive here in Australia.

Also removed gear indicators. Heaps tighter shifter/brake setup now.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I have red accents on my black bikes, but the gold on yours
looks killer, very nice bike. I'd also like to know where you got
the anodized crank bolts.

Best, John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gold topcap is made by a US company called Kronos. Easy to get of ebay.
Crankbolts are from chainreactioncycles.com, but i have near similar ones on my other bike from Token Components. I was stoked, these ones have no markings/branding on them what so ever.
Gold lockons are from an aussie company called Jetblack.
Ive got gold cable crimps kicking around somewhere as well. Ebay purchase they were.

·
Reader
72 Posts
As requested, quick report on my 2010 Fuel EX 9.8. I also owned a 2009 EX 9. The 2010 is noticeably more laterally/torsionally rigid--the 2009 was no slouch (part of why I bought it), but the E2, QR15 fork, and huge downtube courtesy of the wider BB (BB95? Lots of acronyms here) make the 2010 track lines with authority through rough corners. I ride an XL frame, which can have more flex in certain bikes, but not so with the new rig. I notice that the DRCV shock seems to have a snappy, taut feel when pedaling but then sucks up the big hits (as promised) when descending aggressively. I already thought the 2009 Fuels were category leaders, but the 2010 is even more refined.

·
Registered
411 Posts
DeZender said:
and huge downtube courtesy of the wider BB (BB95? Lots of acronyms here)
Yeah I finally found the BB standard it is BB92. The bottom bracket shell width is 89.5mm so it actually uses a 2.5mm spacer to push it to 92mm

Edit: I guess that would make it a BB89.5

Edit2: Sorry noticed you have a carbon frame you most likely have the BB95 then. The above info applies to aluminum Fuel's with press in BB's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts