Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the world of mountain bike trail riding; I have been riding for years but not on trails.

I was at my local bike shop and the owner showed me a few bike that were beginner bike and the Trek stood out the most. I like that the 2010 has a lockout, 100mm of travel & the disc!

Please provide some info if you have this bike...

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/4_series/4300disc/

Thanks,

BRC

·
Jonesin'
293 Posts
I ride one ('08)

A good bike for starting off on. I like mine.
Pros: Sturdy, stiff frame, low maintenance, braking power, drivetrain performance
Cons: Fork, dual control levers (shift & brake), Braking modulation, heavy frame.

If I had to do it again, I would have gone up the food chain a bit and get a bike with a better quality fork-you want something with rebound damping - without it you have a pogo stick. Of course that's more $ :)

I'm surprised I haven't broken anything yet, almost all my miles are off-road, roots and rocks, small drops. That says alot about the 4300, lord knows it ain't my skills.

Anything specific you want to know?, ask.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi Pro,

Do you know what type of trails you'll be riding on (mostly smooth, dirt or gravel, rocky, roots, etc)? Depending on how rugged the trails are where you'll usually ride, you might want to consider a nicer fork. I wouldn't consider a mountain bike with less than mechanical disc brakes, so it's good this one has that.

You mentioned riding for years, was that on road and do you ride much? I think depending on where you are on the experience curve on any type of bike, it will affect what price point you should start at on a mountain bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mightymouse,

I will be riding some local trails here on Long Island; a mix of downhill & single track. I agree on having a good shock on the bike and disc brakes are a must!

My riding experience started as a kid with bmx riding and tricks (can't do that anymore) Over the past few years it's been all on road riding. I've not been able to stick with a good program and life gets in the way sometimes.

2010 is will be my first venture in MTBing...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well the bike you've chosen is not a bad entry level choice. For me, with limited discretionary funds, I had to decide if I would ride enough to justify going with a higher component spec'd bike. You're the only one who can make that call.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.