Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The 2010 Tour de France

• I watch the Tour de France every year.

Votes: 47 59.5%
  • I ride on and off road regularly.

Votes: 42 53.2%
  • I'm a roadie only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an MTB'r only.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • The Tour inspires me to bike more.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Lance will take it again, and for the last time.

Votes: 4 5.1%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many here watch the Tour de France regularly, and do you road bike as well as offroad bike?

·
rides with camera
894 Posts
I never watch t.v , but will occasionally watch it if I remember it`s on . I enjoy the mountain stages the best (which I`m sure most people do)

>>>It sure beats baseball <<<<

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stumonky said:
This is the only sport I watch. And I'm not a roadie, but I appreciate the dedication and strength those riders go through. Watching them tear through the cobblestones today had me on the edge of my seat. No other sport gives me that kind of excitement.
Yes, going over cobblestones fast on a fat tire bike for any period of time gets old quick, so today's stage was truly a test of skill and and tires.

·
local jackass
931 Posts
I love the Tour it is truely inspiring

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,428 Posts
schmitty8225 said:
I wouldn't wish having to watch the tour to my worst enemy, absolutely boring.
So far, not this year. Even my wife's gotten into it this year.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The first year I had access to daily tour coverage was 2002 and I've been watching every year. The sprinter stages are usually not real interesting until the last 25k or so but this year there has been plenty of drama. I can get about 99% of what I want on any stage by watching the pre-race show and that last 40 minutes or so.

I've been riding bicycles for over 35 years having spent lots of time both on the road and off road. In the last 8 or so years I've been probably 80/20 road/dirt but I'm trying to do more dirt as I stopped racing about two years ago. I still have a great appreciation for what it takes and how hard it is even for the pros.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,428 Posts
The wreck in the roundabout was fast (at least 60kmh), and hard. The vs coverage just didn't show it until he'd stopped sliding.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I am very disappointed for Lance

I'm sure he wanted more from his last tour. I wonder how he will participate now? Will he go for a stage win? Will he become a super-domestique?

Lance's presence in the 1999 Tour along with a saturation of coverage supported by Phil and Paul and Bob described an ethos which was meaningful to me as a sportsman by defining a sense of honor and grace under pressure. It inspired me to become a force in the community to create cyclists and, further, to become a High school Mountain Bike Coach.

That he gave an interview to Frankie Andreu immediately after stage 8, was honest and straightforward, without finger pointing is signal. He really sets a standard and shows that he is a leader in so many roles. What I hope from Lance for the remainder of this race is a further expression of honor and grace. Everyone looks pretty good on the way up. One of the greatest challenges in sports is expressing success as one exits the limelight.

Also, Frankie is a class act and handled the interview in the scrum deftly. Nice job in a very tough situation.

·
Banned
266 Posts
stumonky said:
When you wreck, others wreck in front of you, and you have mechanical problems that seems to affect your performance. He did win 7 in a row, I doubt he's humiliated.
I doubt anyone in the cycling universe ever had the thought that Lance felt humiliated.....well, except you. ;)

·
smell the saddle...
612 Posts
Steeljaws said:
I doubt anyone in the cycling universe ever had the thought that Lance felt humiliated.....well, except you. ;)
You said "It appears the Lance is no longer riding strong." I tend to disagree. Even though "Lady Luck" stood against him, he finished strong all things considered. I doubt seriously LA knows the defintion of 'humiliation'. I recall something called "Livestrong"... Maybe you've heard of it? ;)

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That Mark Cavendish is an animal....I'm really impressed! Speaking of head butting, Julian Hunter getting butted by Team HTC....should be a penalty there, seeing as Julian was riding the line straight.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,428 Posts
TraumaARNP said:
That Mark Cavendish is an animal....I'm really impressed! Speaking of head butting, Julian Hunter getting butted by Team HTC....should be a penalty there, seeing as Julian was riding the line straight.
Renshaw was DQ'd.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Back on subject, I ride a road bike frequently for 2 years now. I never thought I would buy one, but I enjoy an hour or two spin after work which is a lot easier than packing up the car and equipment and driving a half hour or more to the closest "real trails". Even though it usually gets more ride time than my other bikes, I don't consider myself a roadie. I watch the TDF nearly every night and like the mountain stages (I can really relate to the suffering), but I find the flatter stages and time trial stuff kinda boring. Those goofy time trial helmets are hilarious, a good way to get your ass kicked riding through the 'hood past the gangbangers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts