Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Poppss
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my new Stumpjumper Comp HT 29 today. Another deal fell through so I pulled the trigger on the new one. Was told not available until the end of the month, but hopefully will get here before that. Will be my first 29, having ridden 26er for some time like the rest of us. Will be a nice addition with the 08 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, and Roubaix Expert road bike. Can't wait...And they say Christmas only comes once a year. Bah Humbug....Being 6-5, 208, ordered the 23 inch frame. Should be great.:thumbsup:

·
Poppss
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was very surprised to get a call from my LBS that my 29er was in on Friday, built and ready for pick up. Man O man, the bike is huge and dwarfs my 08 FSR Comp 26er, and my 64cm Roubaix. Need to find a way to resize my pics so I can post them.

·
thin blue line
106 Posts
HT vs. FS

Do you mind telling me why it is you went with the HT (or stick with it)? I just ordered the FS Stumpjumper comp 29er last week, but am now having doubts. It will be my first 29er and first FS, so I'm a little on the nervous side. I am 6-05, 200lbs, and ride predominantly XC, but hope to ride some freeride/downhill trails in the future. Thanks.

·
thin blue line
106 Posts
Disregard the (or stick with) from my previous post. I completely missed the fact that the SJ 26 in the pic was a FS. Still curious as to why you went with the HT though. What, with you and me being roughly the same size physically, your opinions would mean much.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I'll give you my opinion - currently riding a 29" FS and awaiting the arrival of a used 08 SJ comp 29 HT.

2 different riding styles. The FS 29er is a great lazy man's bicycle. I sit down and plow through everything. It's a rare occurance that I'll stand up and mash it - it is just so much more effecient sitting and pedalling through everything(within reason). The FS is great for nice long rides. The HT for me, is a little more fun. I like standing and mashing, so I missed that aspect of having a good hardtail. Can't go wrong with either, but it's nice to have both - they are just about different riding styles.

·
Poppss
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the versatility of riding a HT when the trails I ride are not as technical as some others. The 120mm travel FSR is great and I still love to launch off stuff and drop in on some pretty big stuff. I also like the idea of riding the big wheel with 5 less pounds uphill. My FSR is around 31 lbs the way I have it set, so to me it made sense. The wheelbase is just a bit longer then my 26, but a bit more fun to play with. Since I have been able to keep my FSR, I chose a HT this time. If I was to have one bike in the garage, it would be the FSR Comp 29er. There you go, with this being my 1st 29er, I think it is a great choice for the money. Been riding and racing with Specialized for some time now, so I remained true to them for their help in the past and the new size for big guys.:smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Waiting for my 2010 SJ 29er HT to arrive I came across barely used 08 SJ FSR Elite (26" wheels) that was to good of a deal to pass on. Unfortunately I can't keep both. I started some xc racing last year and had some success in the beginner class which has me hooked and hope continue this year. It sounds like you would keep the fsr if only keeping one. Do you think the SJ 29er HT would be more competitive for xc?

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
ateam said:
Waiting for my 2010 SJ 29er HT to arrive I came across barely used 08 SJ FSR Elite (26" wheels) that was to good of a deal to pass on. Unfortunately I can't keep both. I started some xc racing last year and had some success in the beginner class which has me hooked and hope continue this year. It sounds like you would keep the fsr if only keeping one. Do you think the SJ 29er HT would be more competitive for xc?
It really comes down to where you are riding. Are the trails you race on technical enough to warrant the full suspension?

Generally, the 29er HT would be the right choice. If I had to choose one bike, it would be the hardtail 29 and not the FS. I have a racing season coming up too and there is no way I would choose the FS to ride - but this also takes into account the trails I'll be riding. The FS is more of the fun ride bike. The FS is too plush, sluggish, heavy - better to have that direct connection with a hardtail, in racing conditions.

·
Registered
550 Posts
robopopp said:
:thumbsup: Got it....Enjoy pics of the 23 inch 29er. Weighs in at just under 26 lbs.
Love the bikes!:thumbsup:

I just got a 2010 SJ FSR 29er' 2 months ago and love it! The trails are fairly technical around here thus FSR was very helpful!

I'm your height 6' 5". I'm down to about 290lbs from 300lbs now. I was thinking about getting a roubaix expert triple. What frame size do you ride? I'm 48yrs. old and looking for a more relaxed road bike that's a bit easier on the back...

·
Poppss
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could not fit on a 61cm Roubaix Comp so the only bike for me was the Roubaix Expert 64cm. As you can see by the picture of the Roubaix, even with the 64, I have a lot of seatpost out. The cockpit area is long and on the Comp 61, it would not allow for the proper seatpost height. The 64 has a head tube length in the area of 10.25 inches and it really put the handlebars up high, too high for me. I am 53 yrs old and it works wonderfully for me, even during 65-75 mi rides. The bike is around 20lbs, and strong, with no lateral flex noted. Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
550 Posts
robopopp said:
I could not fit on a 61cm Roubaix Comp so the only bike for me was the Roubaix Expert 64cm. As you can see by the picture of the Roubaix, even with the 64, I have a lot of seatpost out. The cockpit area is long and on the Comp 61, it would not allow for the proper seatpost height. The 64 has a head tube length in the area of 10.25 inches and it really put the handlebars up high, too high for me. I am 53 yrs old and it works wonderfully for me, even during 65-75 mi rides. The bike is around 20lbs, and strong, with no lateral flex noted. Good luck and I hope this helps.
That's exactly what I was looking for!:thumbsup:

I don't want to pull the trigger quite yet... My LBS has both. It looks like Spec. is dropping the 64 for 2010. Grrrr... They can't drop us 3std dev. people!;) It makes me want to get fit for 64 and buy it if (probably when) it fits correctly.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
dadtorbn said:
That's exactly what I was looking for!:thumbsup:

I don't want to pull the trigger quite yet... My LBS has both. It looks like Spec. is dropping the 64 for 2010. Grrrr... They can't drop us 3std dev. people!;) It makes me want to get fit for 64 and buy it if (probably when) it fits correctly.
Take a look at some touring style road frames as well. Touring frames are generally more compact(cockpit) than a racing frame, in a given size. They give more of an upright ride and that is what will keep your back feeling good. They also accept wider tires, that are more comfortable than the 23-25's.

I don't know of any Specy touring frames. There are a lot out there though - it'll just be tough to find one big enough. I know Fuji made a touring bike in a 64cm last year - did away with it this year though.

·
Poppss
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been riding the crap out of the 29er HT and it is a blast. Getting the fork like I want is a bit more of a chore than I am used to. This bike is quick, responsive, climbs like nobody's business, and descends just as good. The drivetrain is spot on, having not missed shifts, either up or down. Put a 2.2 captain on the front for mind sake, didn't quite trust the 2.0 fast trak. What a kick, a bike that fits us big guys. Go figure. Ok, I feel better now, just had to share. Have a Stumpy FSR Comp 29er on order, but will have to wait until March for delivery. Sold the 26er FSR to my brother, who loves it. Livin the dream....:thumbsup:

·
livin' the dream......
1,967 Posts
I have the 17.5 Stumpy Comp 29er and it looks like a kids bike compared to the big daddy! I too love the HT and this bike just kicks butt all around (for the XC riding I do). Good choice!

·
livin' the dream......
1,967 Posts
I also got rid of the FastTrack 2.0 and am running Geax Saguaro 2.2's UST tubeless front & rear.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.