Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of taking the SS plunge and the new Stumpjumper looks pretty sweet. I'm torn whether to build up a frame or buy the complete version. Id be interested in hearing from anyone who has one and their specs, weight, reviews,pics etc.

Please don't tempt me with any pics of the carbon s-works version, I can't afford it.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
My friend has a geared Stumpy 29er hard tail. He likes it quite a bit. If you're thinking of building up your own, I'd say go for it. I built my SS and have loved it. Once you're willing to start with the frame and go from there, your options are endless.

·
Sup
1,696 Posts
my frame came in at 59 oz with the ebb
size 17.5
if you like the silver you will not save any money building it up yourself
it has a nice spec also
the black and tan looks better in person IMHO
I am waiting on my seat post and and for surlys cogs to come off back order
all our trails are closed anyway

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
SlowerJoe said:
the stumpjumper has a better bottom bracket
you can keep your air nien
That's questionable at best. Is there really a "better" EBB? If there were everyone would be using it (unless of course Specialized tried to sue you because they own the name EBB).

I'd rather buy a bike from a company that is passionate about what they do, and about the sport that makes it possible for them to earn a living. The big S can blow donkey balls

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Fat Bob said:
Is there really a "better" EBB?
Yes there is.

But back on topic, I personally like building from the frame up, but the complete Stumjumper SS looks like a pretty good deal. IMO the most important thing on a SS is the wheelset, and the complete Stumpjumper has a pretty dang good one. DT240s rear hub, and X450SL rims.
It's got good brakes, and a good shock too, if that's your bag.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Hands down, I'd choose the Specy over the Air 9.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I didn't realize Specialized was using a split shell EBB. That is definately the best EBB design, and I don't understand whay more companies don't use it, probably because it is more expensive to build with. I am not a big Specialized fan, but they just moved up a notch in my book. But man, those chainstay welds are Fugly!

Mark

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
SlowerJoe said:
If your local bike shop is specialized dealer is as cool as mine
than it is a no brainer
I buy 90% of my stuff from Jeff
im curious to know which state you are . there is a specialized dealer here in Texas and the owners name is Jeff

·
Sup
1,696 Posts
I live in wisconsin

wish I was in texas right now
the bike would be done and dirty
man what I would do to have it back in the 50's
think I will order the brakes today
that will pull me through this month

·
Registered
964 Posts
Bike

Getting the 2010 SS full bike setup too. Just waiting for it to become available. I like the tan/black frameset, but the complete bike is too good of a deal. Plus I plan on selling the wheels and fork. If anyone has pics of the complete bike, I'd love to see it!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
erichwic said:
Getting the 2010 SS full bike setup too. Just waiting for it to become available. I like the tan/black frameset, but the complete bike is too good of a deal. Plus I plan on selling the wheels and fork. If anyone has pics of the complete bike, I'd love to see it!
+1. All this talk is a big tease. Anyone have a 2010 with some pics?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts