Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in specialized forum as well...hello all! been a lurker for awhile, thanks for all the unbeknownst help. I just ordered 2010 stumpjumper expert 29. I changed out a few things though, and would like some confirmation from you guys to see if I did good or not. After reading more bad than good about the the elixer brakes, I went with Magura Marta sl. Also went with xt cranks, xt pedals, thomson elite seatpost, and phenom saddle. I contemplated going with the roval wheelset, but in the end couldn't justify the cost so I stuck with the stock dt swiss. So what do ya'll think? Anything essential I should switch out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Short answer, after reading many reviews and comments on the elixers...after a few rides, people experienced loud noise, vibrating, and overall decrease in stopping power. There are a couple of threads on this site about it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You should consider the Command Post instead of the Thomson. A bit heavier, but really changes the whole riding experience. It's definitely saved me from crashing plenty of times, so that reason alone is worth it IMO.

Martas are good brakes, but wouldn't have been my first choice. Formula's redesigned "The One" brakes would have and Hopes would be second. I wouldn't use the Avids on this bike, too many problems with vibrating on the rear.

The cranks that come stock on the Expert are the same as 2007 model year shimano XT's 760's. The new ones are an upgrade, but I would have just stuck with those, or upgrade to XTR.

If they let you swap the wheels to the control 29ers and pay the difference that would be a pretty good deal. They are good wheels, and I'm pretty sure you can switch the stock ratchet for the new dt swiss 36pt engagement(they're 240 based if I recall correctly)

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Intencity said:
Short answer, after reading many reviews and comments on the elixers...after a few rides, people experienced loud noise, vibrating, and overall decrease in stopping power. There are a couple of threads on this site about it.
I've had ZERO problems with my Elixir R's and I got 'em for $200 shipped from Green Fish (185mm rotors F&R).

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Robert_in_ca said:
You should consider the Command Post instead of the Thomson. A bit heavier, but really changes the whole riding experience. It's definitely saved me from crashing plenty of times, so that reason alone is worth it IMO.
X2 on this....the command post rocks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts