Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first of all let me start by saying that I was a little skeptical on whether or not this new design would have any significant improvements over the old model when I first saw it. After viewing it in person at Inter Bike- it was apparent that the rear end was going to be quite a bit…well…better tied together. All the tubes on the rear end meet now to form a completely stout and flex free rear end- the seat stays are now joined ala the 951 cross brace. The chainstays and seatstays are now joined together with a CNC bracket near the drop out. The new CNC upper mounting position for the upper pivot (rather than the welded through barbell of the old SS) keep the alignment in check. The newer style VPP2 position of the links and swingarm allow more clearance on the chainstays (I'm not running any chainstay protector and there are no markings from chainslap)- it's simply quiet! Also as many people have mentioned and noted- the "clocking" of the ISCG05 tabs is not in the ideal position…BUT I didn't have a lick of trouble out of this one- no adverse effects after being caked in mud. I'm running everything off of my old SS- LG-1, Totem, FSA flush headset etc.

Ride quality is far better than expected- I did however have to find the magic setting as far as spring size (I was running a 450# on my last frame). After a first day of testing- I realized the rear of the bike was oversprung- I should have swapped the coil from the get go- but figured I'd give it a ride and make a decision once I got it on the trail rather than a parking lot squish test. After the first run- I was wishing I had swapped the coil to something softer. I had just enough preload to keep the coil from moving around and NO low speed compression tuned in on the rear shock at all. The next day I swapped to a 400# coil and that was the ticket. The bike felt more balanced from front to rear and this was apparent once I stood up on the pedals. Both trails we rode this weekend were covered in snow- one trail was very rocky while the other is a little more smooth and flowy- plenty of berms and a step down gap and a trail gap with small doubles thrown in and rock drops too. The bike flowed perfectly through all these obstacles. There were only 2 small rock gardens at the bottom of the trail, but after slamming into them it was apparent the suspension was excellent in comparison to the previous days set-up. Plenty of mud was flung about and caked onto everything- and there was sufficient mud clearance on the rear end for my set-up (WTB Stout 2.3 tires). Out of the saddle sprints were easy- no feeling of an overly squishy movement from the rear. The bike sets up for jumps nicely and the landings feel good from the ending stroke ramp that you get- especially on the step down gap which leads straight into an immediate g-out right hand turn- very controlled feeling. The new design definitely feels more lively and I have also realized that I'm gonna swap the bottom out bumper to the soft one rather than keep running the medium on the Vivid. The bike ramps up in the ending portion of the travel like the 951 does, I'd say that calling this bike a mini 951 is pretty much hitting the nail on the head.

These are just my initial impressions and I'll post more as I get more time on it in various conditions. Sorry for the quality of these pics, but when you're having such a fun time riding- it's hard to remember to stop and try to take pictures:D

E2
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ssii

Hi Eric

A few questions:

1. What weight are you with armour etc? I'm 83kg / 182lb and am planning on running the CCDB. Malcolm (Cane Creek) advised me to start with a 450lb. Would you say that's right as i thought you usually had to drop 50lb (in spring rate terms) with CCDB/BOS?

2. What headset are you using? Do you also happen to know what headset the demo bike is running? It looks like a Cane Creek XXc Flush II but i can't be sure.

3. How do you think the bike will run with a 160mm fork?

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
which fork...

Hello Eric

Which Rock Shox Lyrik are you using on the 2010 SS? Do you have the option to try the new 170mm coil version?
It seems like it would be the perfect fit to balance the 165mm rearend.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KMG said:
Hi Eric

A few questions:

1. What weight are you with armour etc? I'm 83kg / 182lb and am planning on running the CCDB. Malcolm (Cane Creek) advised me to start with a 450lb. Would you say that's right as i thought you usually had to drop 50lb (in spring rate terms) with CCDB/BOS?

2. What headset are you using? Do you also happen to know what headset the demo bike is running? It looks like a Cane Creek XXc Flush II but i can't be sure.

3. How do you think the bike will run with a 160mm fork?

Thanks
I'm about 165- rarely suit up in armor- so I used a 400# for the Vivid and based that off of my riding weight with just a full face and winter clothes.

I'm running the FSA flush headset. I think the bike would be absolutely fine with a 160mm fork. I'm currently running a Totem 2 step- but it had a slight oil leak in the 2 step mechanism that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet- so it currently sits at around 165-ish mm of travel.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BlueRidgeRider said:
Hello Eric

Which Rock Shox Lyrik are you using on the 2010 SS? Do you have the option to try the new 170mm coil version?
It seems like it would be the perfect fit to balance the 165mm rearend.

Thanks
Running a Totem 2 step- 09 chassis, but 2010 2 step internals. The fork had an oil leak in the 2 step early on that I've yet to pull apart and top the fluids off yet to get it back to the 180mm travel mark. As it is- it sits at around 165mm roughly.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ssii

Ah ok, I'll ride it for a while and see how it goes before swapping over to ti. How did you run the HSC/LSC once you'd gone with the new spring?

I'm planning on running the BOS DeVille up front with a flush headset - so as to keep it super low but still not overlly affect the geo (seeing as you can get really good compression with BOS). I know it's a little early to say but any thoughts / views on how it will cope with the steep twisty stuff?

Oh, did yours have the ability to change between 6 and 6.5" of travel? Can't see from the pics.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KMG said:
Ah ok, I'll ride it for a while and see how it goes before swapping over to ti. How did you run the HSC/LSC once you'd gone with the new spring?

I'm planning on running the BOS DeVille up front with a flush headset - so as to keep it super low but still not overlly affect the geo (seeing as you can get really good compression with BOS). I know it's a little early to say but any thoughts / views on how it will cope with the steep twisty stuff?

Oh, did yours have the ability to change between 6 and 6.5" of travel? Can't see from the pics.
No low speed compression at all dialed in and I'll be swapping to the soft Bottom out bumper (that's the way you adjust the high speed compression on the Vivid). Overall the bike freakin rips- changes direction easily and feels planted when you want it to and jumps when you need it to. Mine has the single travel option- probably the equivalent of the 6.5 setting or "upper" mounting hole on the adjustable link.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a link to a video courtesy of sicklines.com

This is Jason following me down the trail in the photos- what you can't see from the video is how muddy and slick some of the sections are. Fun in the snow and mud:D

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mike like bikes said:
eric do you think we could have some clean pic's? please

also is the rear wheel travel adjustable
On mine the travel isn't adjustable. If you've seen my old bikes you'll know it's hard for me to leave the frame stock. I've already (hopefully Andrew remembers) got it lined out to get some of the new links (upper should be adjustable on the production bikes) in Raw and get them ano'd...and color suggestions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.