Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow bikers

I'm new to the forum so I hope you won't "flame" me for such a trivial question/post. Recently, I sold my "enduro" bike to get back into FR waters and 2 models cought my eye [ the Intense brand has always been a favourite of mine, go figure :D ], the Uzzi VP and the new SS.

1. question:

I ride [ or used to ride with my former bikes ] tight singletracks, bike parks, local DH tracks and "dirt jump inspired" tracks. I want a nimble and strong bike/frame, that is comfortable in the air and on the "DH" stuff but is still able to pedal up a "moderately" incline to get to the top of the track. So, the question. Would the SS be better suited for this type of riding conditions?

2. question:

I'm 6.20 ft tall. Would a medium Uzzi VP be too short?

Greetings from Slovenia ;)

Andy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Draz_H said:
Hello fellow bikers

I'm new to the forum so I hope you won't "flame" me for such a trivial question/post. Recently, I sold my "enduro" bike to get back into FR waters and 2 models cought my eye [ the Intense brand has always been a favourite of mine, go figure :D ], the Uzzi VP and the new SS.

1. question:

I ride [ or used to ride with my former bikes ] tight singletracks, bike parks, local DH tracks and "dirt jump inspired" tracks. I want a nimble and strong bike/frame, that is comfortable in the air and on the "DH" stuff but is still able to pedal up a "moderately" incline to get to the top of the track. So, the question. Would the SS be better suited for this type of riding conditions?

2. question:

I'm 6.20 ft tall. Would a medium Uzzi VP be too short?

Greetings from Slovenia ;)

Andy
If you are looking for something to pedal back uphill, the Uzzi is likely a better choice. The SS has a pretty slack seat tube angle, which will definitely affect pedaling, and standard dropouts. The Uzzi comes with G3 dropouts which allow you to adjust the geometry and wheelbase, plus its geometry is more pedal friendly.

They are both sick bikes, but the Uzzi is a little more versatile. A medium Uzzi might be a little short for you if you are pedaling and climbing, unless you put a long stem on it (which would be stupid on a DH/Freeride bike).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When mother nature meets Intense :D

Nice 1 E2 :)

How does "she" descend? Is 6.5" of travel enough for the "gnarly" terrain?

@Dirt:

My riding style is focused mainly on the DH and jump "stuff". I prefer stability on the technical tracks. My greatest fear is bumping my "knees" into the bars and stem if going with the M size.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Draz_H said:
When mother nature meets Intense :D

Nice 1 E2 :)

How does "she" descend? Is 6.5" of travel enough for the "gnarly" terrain?

@Dirt:

My riding style is focused mainly on the DH and jump "stuff". I prefer stability on the technical tracks. My greatest fear is bumping my "knees" into the bars and stem if going with the M size.
Descends like a champ...even though my Totem is currently sitting at about 165-ish mm of travel...the 2 step needs more fluid to bring it up to the 180,, mark again. 6.5" feels perfect for our terrain. Compared to the old SS I had I went down 50# on the rear coil and will soon swap to the soft bottom out bumper on the rear shock too. Definitely better lateral stiffness than an Uzzi VP and the old SS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much E2!!! I've been leaning towards the SS the whole time and your feedback made me want to ride one even more :)

I'll post some pics when the frame arrives.

Thanks again ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
While I realize your bike is set up for descending, can you tell me if the SS can climb at all? Do you think this thing could, with the right build, do all mountain duties too?

I love the slack geo, but would love to be able to get to the top again too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 951 and Uzzi VP.....the Uzzi is stiff at the back with a 12mm axle all this flex talk must be with folks running a quick release, anyway I was going to get another SS but I wanted a bike to pedal back to the top and thats the Uzzi. The new SS design is biased towards descending and not trail riding..... I think that was highlighted during the launch.

As far as being capable I was more than happy on the old SS riding Fort William and other DH tracks and imagine the new SS to be just as capable, although not as full on as the 951.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
dropmachine.com said:
While I realize your bike is set up for descending, can you tell me if the SS can climb at all? Do you think this thing could, with the right build, do all mountain duties too?

I love the slack geo, but would love to be able to get to the top again too.
Well honestly- it would come down to how you want to ride it- I mean- obviously the lack of a full length seat tube could come into play...unless you put a gravity dropper or some other height adjust post on the bike. I am not opposed to standing and climbing- and mine is equipped with a 36 tooth up front and a small road cassette- about an 11-25 so there is NO sitting and spinning being done on mine- just standing and mashing. It could be capable of climbing- but I have yet to try it- we were strictly shuttling this weekend on our ride. As soon as take it on a local ride with some climbs- I'll let you know how it is.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
0pt1cal said:
I have a 951 and Uzzi VP.....the Uzzi is stiff at the back with a 12mm axle all this flex talk must be with folks running a quick release, anyway I was going to get another SS but I wanted a bike to pedal back to the top and thats the Uzzi. The new SS design is biased towards descending and not trail riding..... I think that was highlighted during the launch.

As far as being capable I was more than happy on the old SS riding Fort William and other DH tracks and imagine the new SS to be just as capable, although not as full on as the 951.
I never realized the amount of flex on my old SS until I jumped on this thing. And yes I run a 12 x 135mm axle...ALWAYS. I've never run a QR on the rear of the SS. For the people that like to do the "grab the back wheel and the seat test and flex them against each other" for lateral stiffness test- the only thing that has any apparent flex now is my back wheel itself- no more deflection of the frame. The crossbrace on the rear seat stays (like on your 951) help tie it all together- and the new braces between the seat stay and chainstay help too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
While I realize the new SS is geared (ha) towards DH/ SS and not trail riding, my Blur 4x is clearly designed towards 4x, yet it remains the best trail bike I have ever had, and I've had a lot of bikes.

I like the numbers on the SS, but at the end of the day i have to get up the hill too. I plan on staying in the middle ring (36) most of the time, but occasionallyd ropping into a granny and chugging along uphill. I figure a Lyrik 2step will help that a ton.

So, think it could do it?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used to have a Blur 4x as well and agree with you that it was good for trail riding. I think that given the design of the new SS any climbing your going to do on it is NOT going to be seated given the seatpost insertion. Not the same compromise as the 4x....saying that I', quite happy riding my dirt jumper for some short rides and that's standing up only!

·
Registered
514 Posts
i agree about the BB, but if you are just dropping a fork from 160 to 00 to get up a hill, probably won't have any catastrophic problems with the BB.

Think that frame can handle a telescopic post without cracking? That'd solve all the problems right there.

Goddam I love that bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.