Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 SRAM X7 shifter drops internal cable on up-shifts

Hi all,

I have a brand new 2010 Giant Reign that I'm customizing for my riding.

While on the bike stand, the rear drive-train exhibited a strange behavior. At the lowest gear--largest cog in back--one click of shifting will cause the chain to skip a cog and effectively shift two speeds instead of one. Afterwards, the rear shifting is completely unpredictable, until I shift to the highest gear--smallest cog in back.

So I opened the rubber window of the X7 shifter housing that is used for replacing the cable and that's where I saw that the shifter cable is slipping or dropping off the carrier wheel inside. This only occurs from the largest cog, when cable tension is at its highest. Shifting to the smallest cog decreases cable tension significantly, repositioning it back onto the carrier wheel to work normally again.

Has anybody else experienced this annoying behavior with the 2010 SRAM X7 shifter? Did you devise a fix for this? I have an older 2006 SRAM Rocket shifter that works just fine.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I mistakenly labeled the shifter "X9", when it should be "X7" for that model Reign.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Can you post a pic? I'd like to see how its slipping off the wheel unless your cable is too long. When your in your lowest gear in the rear is there any play on the cable? If you have the right tension in the rear you can usually play with the barrel adjustment on the shifter or adjust the limit on the deraileur to get the gremlins out.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I know what you are talking about with the SRAM cable window on the X9 shifters. I think that may be a defective shifter or you do not have enough tension on the cable OR your cable is catching somewhere and its not fully releasing to keep tension on the cable. Somewhere the cable is being hung up to not give you the correct cable tension.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
blooregard said:
if the other shifter works fine with the new x 9 ***** why cant you just use that one
Sounds like he has that shifter installed on another bike and is just bringing it up for comparison to a working SRAM shifter, especially since the Rocket shifter is an SRAM model made to work with Shimano rear derailleurs and isn't compatible with SRAM derailleurs

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's a cable tension issue. Shift it to the lowest cog in the rear. The spring in the rear derailleur should be completely compressed make sure the cable is riding where it should be. Adjust the cable tension until the cable just starts to get tight. Shift it up through the larger cogs. If it's having problems lifting the chain up the cassette you may need to tighten the cable a bit. If it has problems dropping back down from the largest cog down the cassette you may have too much cable tension.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures of cable droppage

:) SRAM Rocket rear shifter showing carrier wheel with full cable guides:

:mad: SRAM X7 rear shifter showing carrier wheel with half cable guide:

:) GOOD X7 internal cable placement when cable is centered on carrier wheel:

:mad: BAD X7 internal cable has dropped/slipped off carrier wheel:

:mad: Full view of X7 rear shifter internals when cable has already dropped off carrier wheel:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.