Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've been looking for a nicer used 26'er mountain bike and came across a 2010 Sworks Stumpjumper 26er in used, but well taken care of condition that a friend is selling. I don't want to low ball him and was wondering what it be worth, ballpark... Suspension fork functions how it should. Being a 26er it may only appeal to certain buyers, but it was the bees knees in 2010. Hydraulic brakes, SRAM components. Any help would be appreciated..
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

· furker
919 Posts
Definitely a nice bike in it's day, but even back then it was known for having a pretty aggressive head angle. That vintage of dedicated XC race bikes sacrificed trail ability in exchange for pure speed. On the right trails this bike would be a rush, on the wrong trails it would be a handful with the short fork travel, smaller rotors, narrow bars, less stiff axles, narrow rims, etc. Not an issue if you are realistic on the expectations for what types of terrain you will be riding it on and have another bike for tougher/steeper trails. Even back in the day, this wasn't a "single-quiver" bike for riding all trails.

Are you good at brake bleeding? The XX's of this vintage had a brake lever bladder design that requires frequent brake bleeding, and can even suffer loss of braking if there is any air at all in the system and the bike is stored upside-down. Not a deal breaker if you are comfortable with doing your own frequent bleeding, but a pain if you have to pay a shop all the time. Brake gobble is also common. Light weight brakes, but high maintenance and not super powerful.

I see nubs still on the tires, so they look in good shape. The 2.2's are probably the largest tires I'd put on those rims, and they suit an XC race bike, so no reason to change them. I'd probably change the fork seals, they are probably an old design that aren't too silky.

Sram hasn't made that rear cassette for years, so I'd inspect that closely and have a plan to replace it with something else if worn. The front chain-rings are a bit of an oddball size, but Wickwerks makes good 2x rings if you don't go 1x. Just have a plan for when those odd-BCD front rings get worn and start to chain suck (I don't see chain suck scars on the frame yet, so that's a bonus).

The good news is that the HT's are probably more valuable than the full-suspension S-Works bikes of that same vintage. No obsolete rear shock to deal with, so that increases the value compared to the FS. And the front headtube is tapered instead of straight, so there are more choices of replacement shocks -- but the 9mm axles make it tougher.

I'd say ballpark is under 1K, and over 700. But c-vid and local market conditions make trying to pin a price on anything almost impossible. If your friend were trying to maximize $$$ they could probably list it for more and maybe strike gold with the right buyer. But buyers are starting to get annoyed with people trying to get rich selling old bikes....

· Banned
651 Posts
Hello. I've been looking for a nicer used 26'er mountain bike and came across a 2010 Sworks Stumpjumper 26er in used, but well taken care of condition that a friend is selling. I don't want to low ball him and was wondering what it be worth, ballpark... Suspension fork functions how it should. Being a 26er it may only appeal to certain buyers, but it was the bees knees in 2010. Hydraulic brakes, SRAM components. Any help would be appreciated.. View attachment 1941696
$350 to $450. Anything more is crazy for an old Specialized. How much do you value your friendship?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses, I have a good idea of value now. While mountain bikes have come leaps and bounds with innovations in the last 10 years, it's a shame that something that had a $6000+ MSRP is essentially worth peanuts. Reminds me of German cars..

· furker
919 Posts
Gotta keep in mind that most people didn't pay full MSRP for $6000+ bikes even when they were new. And the value had probably already dropped to less than half of MSRP by 2012. For reference, in 2012 I bought a 2011 carbon Sram XX group set 26'er for $3,500 that had an original MSRP of $7,869.99. It basically cost the original owner $10 bucks a day in depreciation.

Each day he DIDN'T ride that bike cost him 10 bucks to have the bike sit in his garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.