Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any folks tried stuffing a 650b wheel into a 2010 Stumpjumper/S-works 26" carbon HT frame? I'm thinking about doing a 650b HT build and I want to go carbon.

-------
Yemi

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yes it will work. Not a ton of clearance on the rear. S90 fork works fine. Tried a bike with quasimotos on 355 650B's. Was a blast.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i want to make my 2005 alloy sworks ht 19inch. w/ an 04 rlc 80 fox and v brake (avids).
can it be done? (650b)
or do i leave it a 26r

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey CHSAD,

Can you comment on how the 650b'ed bike handled on descents? Does the geometry seem OK for an all-mountain hardtail? I'm a little concerned that the bike might be too nervous on the downhill techy stuff. The S90 fork seems very pricey so I would probably run a Fox fork such as the F100 or maybe the F120 which would slacken the head angle. I'd really like to get some guidelines on fork compatibility.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The one I rode was a buddies who lent it to me. It was a 19 (L) and usually ride a 17-18 (M). It was set up with a 75mm stem so it would fit. As far as descending the bike ripped through downhills and rolled up quick. It was also set up as a single speed. Tire clearance on the front end was good but on the rear not so much. It was set up with Quasimotos front and rear. If you don't already have the S90 a Fox would do you fine. X-Fusion makes a dedicated 650B fork which another buddy uses and likes. Yes the 120 would change the handling as would the 100 although only slightly due to only being 10mm longer then the S90. All of this of course will void any warranty.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
zippy895 said:
im still looking for the input on the alluminum 05 sworks ht clearance for a rear 650b setup.
The Fox will clear. I cannot speak to the clearance in the frame. However, I would imagine that you may have a problem w/ the v-brakes working, i.e. the pads being able to align w/ the brake track of the larger hoops.

IMHO, disks are the only way to go, and could not ever go back...
Not sure if that is an option on the frame, but your fork will have IS tabs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. I would probably go with a 100mm fork. 10mm more travel than the S90 so it shouldn't place too much stress on the frame. I just realized that your test bike had 355 rims. I think the width of the 355s is 24.4mm. A wider rim such as the blunt (28mm) or the P-35 (35mm) may actually improve clearance by creating a flatter tire profile with a lower maximum tire height? True or false?

CHSAD said:
The one I rode was a buddies who lent it to me. It was a 19 (L) and usually ride a 17-18 (M). It was set up with a 75mm stem so it would fit. As far as descending the bike ripped through downhills and rolled up quick. It was also set up as a single speed. Tire clearance on the front end was good but on the rear not so much. It was set up with Quasimotos front and rear. If you don't already have the S90 a Fox would do you fine. X-Fusion makes a dedicated 650B fork which another buddy uses and likes. Yes the 120 would change the handling as would the 100 although only slightly due to only being 10mm longer then the S90. All of this of course will void any warranty.

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
OA diameter maybe

Yemi said:
A wider rim such as the blunt (28mm) or the P-35 (35mm) may actually improve clearance by creating a flatter tire profile with a lower maximum tire height? True or false?
But depends on side chainstay clearences. That's were the wider rim may push the sidewall closer. Just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts