Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about your guys take on the 2010 Specialized P.1 AM. To me it looks like a beefed up version of the rockhopper(the geometry is close to the same).

I have a friend riding an old steel rigid bike from about 1990. They found the rim brake version of the P.1 for a pretty good deal($300) brand new w/ warranty. The rigid bike has been working all right for them, but they have definitely been jonesing for a newer bike.

The way I see it, the P.1 offers better geometry and fit and a suspension fork(albeit not a great one) and newer crisper components. It falls short in not having discs, which could probably be added down the line for $200-250(BB7s, and wheels, I can do the work for free). It's also heavier than the old DB rigid their currently on.

Any advice? Also, they'd rather not go used.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
That's seems like a good deal to me. The bike is really tough though not the lightest. Does the bike fit your friend? That's more important than getting a good price on it. One more thing to consider is that you should verify that the bike you are getting is disc ready. By that I mean does it have disc brake hubs? The Tech information on Specialized's website says the hubs are disc but I would still verify; you never know because some companies switch spec'd components midway through a year. That would make it a lot cheaper to go disc down the line if that is something you want to do. Though don't discount rim brakes, they can be pretty darn good.

As far as entry level bikes go for $300, that seems like a good deal. You're not going to get a nicer fork than that unless you were to spend quite a bit more for a bike. Ride it until it breaks and make a decision to replace it or upgrade to a different bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.