Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material Aluminum
Fork Brand & Model White Brothers Fluid 650B, 120mm travel
Fork Material Single
Rear Shock RockShox Monarch 3.3, 120mm travel

Components
Component Group Mountain Mix
Brakeset Hayes Stroker Hydraulic w/180mm Rotor front/Hayes Stroker Hydraulic w/160mm Rotor rear brakes, Hayes Stroker Hydraulic levers
Shift Levers Shimano Deore Rapid Fire Plus
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Shadow
Crankset Truvativ Firex 3.2 GXP, 44/32/22 teeth
Pedals Shimano M520
Bottom Bracket TruVativ GXP
BB Shell Width Unspecified
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
Chain Shimano HG73
Seatpost Ritchey Comp V2, 30.9mm diameter
Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp
Handlebar Ritchey Comp Riser
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem Ritchey Comp
Headset 1 1/8" threadless Ritchey Comp Logic V2

Wheels
Hubs Shimano M475
Rims WTB LaserDisc Trail 650B, 32-hole
Tires 650B x 2.10" Kenda Small Block Eight
Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm)
Spoke Nipples Unspecified

Lifted this off another site seems to jive with what ive seen/heard
Also I believe the head angle is 70 degrees but I am not 100% percent on that.
I will try to copy the geometry down next time I stop by the LBS

·
Registered
114 Posts
At least on the Sonix LT (120mm front), the only change from the Sonix (100mm front) is the 69º angle at the headset, instead of 71º.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sonix LT has longer chainstays, thats why 650b wheels will fit on an LT. Also each inch of travel (25.4mm) increases or decreases the front end angle about one degree (kudos to Brant Richards formerly of on-one for that tid bit.)

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
555 Posts
Put some cash down at the LBS on an 18 inch Sonix 650b should have it by Jan. Hopefully we will have snow soon so the wait can be more bearable!

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
carverboy said:
Sonix Geometry based on 100mm travel fork.

since this bike has 120 fork these stat's are off. Anyone know of hand what the extra 20mil will slacken these numbers?
thanks for the link for the rest of the info:thumbsup:
20mm will slacken the front end 1 degree.
Do you need a math lesson carverboy?

BTW, if you need some snow, come to northern New Mexico...we have plenty here.

·
Registered
555 Posts
got bike?

Just got my new sonix 650b yesterday!
My first new bike in quite some time. Must say today's mid line Gruppo look better than xtr did back in the day! Im swamped at work as MLK weekend is one of our biggest but took the time to assemble everything. Bike is a 16" I am 5'8" with short legs and long arms so I will
switch out for a longer stem(although the stock Richie is a work of art) and some Oury grips. Otherwise gonna ride as is and possibly upgrade to tubeless and a lighter wheel set down the road. Got a feeling the white saddle wont last but it looks good now lol!
will try to get some photo's up next week after we recover from Ski shop hell.:eek:

·
Registered
555 Posts
first ride

First ride went well other than a little rain. I set the sag at 12mm and the bike rode great!
Getting at the air valve for the shock is a little difficult. I left it turned out to the side for future use. getting the valve cap back on with it turned down was too much hassle. Some one chime in if it has to be down. It seemed to be fine out to the side turning it up would interfere with the lock out. Not that I foresee using the lock out as the bike rode wonderfully in the open position. Def gonna change to Oury grips and the saddle rubbed me wrong for sure.
Gearing felt taller for sure but the bike really rolled nice on the faster stuff.
Loved the fact that the constant rock garden pedal strikes my trek liquid suffers from are now a thing of the past!
Gonna hold off on any serious analysis until the brakes and fork have some more serious miles on them. the shifting was flawless although i'm sure some cable stretch will surface next ride or two. Haven't seen a bike this well tuned out of the box before and Ive assembled my share. Thank you Haro for a great bike!

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
We want pics McGraw.

I hope your new bike works out for your back. Mine takes constant attention. Proper stretching is so important. I just got back from a 50 miler in El Paso and man I never saw so many rocks on one ride. I had to stop several times to straighten out. Travis Brown came down to get out of the snow and came in second place....an hour in front of me :eek:

What tires came on it? The Neo-Motos are awesome and Pacenti will be coming out with a soft compound 2.3" that would work great as a front tire in the mountains of NC.

·
Registered
555 Posts
sonix photo

There you go pre-ride before alot of rain and mud. sorry no after shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Glad to hear you are loving your Sonix 650B!

The White Bros forks do have a break-in period. It's going to take a few rides before they feel a little less stiff. Here's a quick set up guide for the forks:

Spring side (left side): inflate to 50% of body weight
Damper side: (right side): Start at zero PSI. Most people ride with zero to 5 PSI. Maximum inflation on damper side is 50 PSI.

Not sure exactly what you mean about the air valve on the rear shock...is the vavle turned down and stuck in the frame? I know the factory assembled s few bikes with the valve turned all the way down. All you have to do to release it is to take out the shock mount bolts on one side of the shock, drop the shock down, turn the valve up, then attach the shock back to the frame mount.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the fork set up. I have too much air in the Damper side for sure.
And yes the air valve was turned down through the frame as you described. On my 16" frame I was able to work the valve cap off freeing up enough space to rotate the valve up out of the frame so I could air it up. Not sure if that would work on other frame sizes but if you've
got a 16" it's easier than pulling the shock bolts. I used a key, teeth side against the valve cap in order to gain the leverage to break loose the valve cap, then unthreaded it with my finger tip. once it's off there's enough room to rotate the valve up past the frame.
Nothing but freezing rain in our forecast but I may try riding sun or mon unless we get snow in which case the snowboard gets some use:)

·
Registered
555 Posts
After some serious single track!

Well, Ive put some serious rides in on my sonix 650b now.
The first thing you notice hopping on is the tall perch. You are riding higher than the average 26" The bikes incredible stability and roll over most anything handling make the taller riding position a non issue. I did the home brew gorilla tape tubeless conversion and swapped my 16"s 90mm stem for a 100mm I am following my faster riding buddies closer than ever without feeling like I am pushing the envelope.
Following a friend down a steep trail with bike un-friendly switchbacks I managed them as well or better than his 26"
If you are looking for a reasonable priced do it all trail bike you owe it to yourself to give this bike serious consideration.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts