Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK no reviews as of yet I just got back on the bike from a broken back and a concussion. Took longer to heal up this time :rolleyes:

Anyhow I got my start of stuff for this year and figured Id post tread shots, weights, info, additions to designs ie sidewalls and new compound.

First off they are a bigger profile tire so a 2.35 is pretty on par with a maxxis 2.5 and a 2.5 is on par with a maxxis 2.7 but the weights are good for the size as well as the sidewalls are thick. The single ply or as they refer to them the freeride are a little thicker than last season and all freeride versions come with SILVER logos and snakeskin sidewalls which is a tear resistant material in the sidewalls to take strikes and not allow gashing of the tire as well as prevent pinchflats.
The triple layer compound has harder center, and softer sides as well as a base layer that allows better rolling resistance. All these tires work well with tubeless set up Im currently running 2.35 DH Muddy marys now with stans on 823s and like last year I have had ZERO problems thus far. (I did blow up 3 rims last season and tires failed to seal, tires couldnt roll LOL)

DH and FR versions share the snakeskin sidewalls and the slip resistant coating to keep them from slipping on the bead in a tubed setup.

DH is 2 ply sidewalls FR is single ply sidewalls

DH has GOLD logos and FR has SILVER logos

As far as experience I love the muddy marys I have rode them for a while now with great succes and from Washington to Socal, bootleg and inbetween. They are a great intermediate tire.

New additions
Dirty Dan (strict MUD tire) which takes the place of the old black shark mud as far as similarities they both are bike tires, aside of that the DD has a more open lug design and is 2.35 (which is right at 2.5 maxxis) now its available in a slightly smaller version and single ply 2.0.
It has great side lugs as well for when its more leaned in a berm or flat, they are guey gluey so they are the softer compound for roots rocks etc and hooking up when its not a mud pit.

Wicked Will (strict dry tire loose over hard pack rocks etc) This tire was designed by team Yeti and is a loose over hard pack dry conditions low rolling resistance and made for the rocks as well.
This takes the place in the lineup of the almighty as far as terrain and use.

Muddy marys tread design has stayed the same as well as big bettys, Im running a triple rear and guey gluey front in almost all combinations this year and will have a update with the Dirty dan in a few weeks we are taking a trip up north to the mountains where theres plenty of MUD roots singletrack and rock chutes. I'm riding with another guy so we will have shots as well.

So this is the lineup reviews will follow shortly!

Oh and Im glad to be back on a bike, its like flying total freedom to just go!

The lineup

Took the Muddy Marys out in the grease mud! They clean really well as well as hook up as good as I remember in the Goo as well as loose over hard and rocks.

dirty Man 2.35 DH 1365g

Muddy Mary 2.35 DH triple compound 1210g (same size as maxxis 2.5)

Muddy Mary 2.35 freeride 820g

Wicked Will DH 2.5 triple 1450g (like a 2.7 maxxis)

wicked Will tread design

Dirty Dan tread

Dirty Dan side lugs

omparison of old blackshark mud (right) to the new Dirty Dan

·
I like rocks
166 Posts
I found a Big Betty that had been sitting at my LBS for ages - they let me have it for close to cost. Awesome tire front or back where I live. One of these days when I'm not feeling so stingy I'll probably buy a Muddy Mary for the front.

Thanks for the info on this year's stuff. Schwalbes would be soooo much more popular if the price came down. Frankly I never would have even tried one were it not for getting that BB so cheap :D

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
north20 said:
Thanks for the info on this year's stuff. Schwalbes would be soooo much more popular if the price came down. Frankly I never would have even tried one were it not for getting that BB so cheap :D
Honestly, having switched from Kendas to Schwalbes, the cost is the same, if not less!

I was going thu 2-3 Nev 2.35/2.5 a year up front (@~37ea), and bought a Big Betty for $65 that lasted an entire year UST before I had to put a tube in it! It still has plenty of life left, so I put it on the Pbike.
I am running a Fat Albert rear and it might not last as long as the BB - but I am running it rear. Traditionally, the Kendas would have shed so many knobs in 3 months that I would have to replace them...so looking at 3-4 tires/year (@37= ~$140)...I have 7 months on this tire already, no shedding/ripping lugs and probably can get another 2 months out of it.

Cheap tires are just another contributor to the poor getting poorer...you get what you pay for and have to replace them often.

edit: UST is all I run...but only after I switched to Schwalbe. I cannot find a UST Nevegal for less than $45, which only increases the savings!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice review I hadnt thought of the failures as well making for more tire purchases throughout the year. Yeah I can see that I have yet to rip a knob off a schwalbe even the guey gluey.

·
I like rocks
166 Posts
I agree on the whole durability vs. cost issue (and totally agree about Kendas - my luck has been horrible with that brand in general); however, I'd stand by my statement in relation to Schwalbe's single ply offerings (which is what the BB on my trail bike is). The price is just too high.

Their DH/FR 2-ply stuff is priced along with the other premium brands they compete with like Maxxis. The only single ply tires that I can recall being up there with Schwalbe's models is Continental. And in Conti's case, it's the exception. However, if the performance of the BB is any indicator being more expensive than average is probably justified - but not the top dollar their asking. Imo anyway ;)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
north20 said:
I agree on the whole durability vs. cost issue (and totally agree about Kendas - my luck has been horrible with that brand in general); however, I'd stand by my statement in relation to Schwalbe's single ply offerings (which is what the BB on my trail bike is). The price is just too high.

Their DH/FR 2-ply stuff is priced along with the other premium brands they compete with like Maxxis. The only single ply tires that I can recall being up there with Schwalbe's models is Continental. And in Conti's case, it's the exception. However, if the performance of the BB is any indicator being more expensive than average is probably justified - but not the top dollar their asking. Imo anyway ;)
My freeride versions have outlasted all single plys Ive ran from Kenda, tioga, maxxis etc... As well as they are the BEST tubeless converting NON butping and issue free tire Ive ran. Ive had better luck with durability of these than other UST DH tires Ive ran as well.
Look online and you can find shop or sites who arent at full MSRP, they have a MAP (minimum advertised price) that they can go down to as well.

EIther way Im estatic to be riding for Schwalbe again this season, they were patient with my injury and stood by me which when you miss the season and dissappear from riding for 7 months to get back in shape thats a pretty cool company! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.