Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting some some creaking from the BB area of my 2010 RIP 9 on left side pedal down strokes and im having a hard time diagnosing the source.
So far ive:

-removed/inspected/tightend to spec the BB/cranks/pedals
-checked for play in the shock mounting points

Any other ideas?

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Just went through the same thing, ended up being the rear hub. Regreased the freehub, noise gone. I swore it was the crankset, removed and re-checked 3 times.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
skeltah said:
I'm getting some some creaking from the BB area of my 2010 RIP 9 on left side pedal down strokes and im having a hard time diagnosing the source.
So far ive:

-removed/inspected/tightend to spec the BB/cranks/pedals
-checked for play in the shock mounting points

Any other ideas?
Rear skewer/hub is a common culprit, weirdest source I have found is the front derailleur bolt. Damned mountain bikes and their creaking... 20 years of MTB and I still can't find creaks sometimes.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Had some raceface cranks & it was the LH crank arm loose on the shaft that goes through the botton bracket.

·
Registered
324 Posts
agreed the crank/bb always gets blamed but more times than not it is elsewhere. skewers are the first place I check. One time a smart guy showed me that grit between crossed spokes was causing the problem.

·
COMBO - President
296 Posts
Just had my BB area pivot bearings replaced, creak is not gone. Had replaced the BB but that did not cure the creak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The creak is gone! good call JMH on the derailleur bolt... That would have been the last place I checked.

·
Registered
241 Posts
skeltah said:
The creak is gone! good call JMH on the derailleur bolt... That would have been the last place I checked.
That's just weird. I guess I'll start there though, I have the same issue as the OP.
Thanks, I'd have never, ever thought to check that.
Scott

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
fire_strom said:
That's just weird. I guess I'll start there though, I have the same issue as the OP.
Thanks, I'd have never, ever thought to check that.
Scott
It doesn't take long to put a wrench on every bolt on your bike... if it makes a "tic" when you give it a push in either direction, it's almost certainly the culprit.

Glad you found your noise! I had a seatpost earlier this season that was creaking deep inside the frame, I cut an inch off the end and it stopped. :confused:

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I pretty much clean my bike after every ride, an Atomic Blue RIP. So far, the only thing that squeaks ever on it is wet brake pads/rotors. I have had slightly loose skewers on my AIR 9 drive me crazy, until I found the culprit.

G

·
I had an identical creak/click in my bottom bracket that drove me nuts. I tightened my rear axel and it instantly disappeared. Weird how the rear axel makes it sound like the bottom bracket is the issue.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm cursed by wanting a quiet ride....:madman:

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
My bottom linkage pivot bolts on my WFO wouldn't stop creaking after torquing them to 65 inch lbs. Took it up to 75 in pounds, backed them off, then reset to 65 inch pounds. Solved the creak, for good.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My WFO creaking is driving me insane! I had the shop pull the headset and relube at the same time they checked the BB, about 30min into the ride after that the creaking came right back. I am going to check the rear derail bolt but I am at a loss.

Anyone know how to service the bearings on the linkage on these? Is it as easy as pulling the caps lubing the bearings and then re tighten to spec?

·
Registered
324 Posts
There was a thread where someone had a great writeup on how to take apart all the pivots and press out the bearings, etc, if i find it I'll post a link... Maybe someone else can link to it too. I get creaks from the lower pivots every couple of months, I pull out the axles and linkage (usually just lower, once in a while ill do the upper) and wipe down and clean everything, even the cone shaped washers that go between the bearing and linkage. When its all apart I spin the bearings with my finger, I'll only remove/lube the bearings if they are gritty, otherwise I just brush the gunk out from around them and clean the surrounding areas (not spraying any cleaner ON the bearing). I clean the axles well, and then put a light coat of grease on them and re-assemble, nice and quiet for a few more months!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a RIP 9 with about a year and half on it. I had been chasing a creek for much fo the summer and fall. I replaced the bearing ans still had the creek. A week ago I took the shock off placed it in a vise and had play inthe bottom DU bushing. replaced the bushing and the credk went away. Check your DU bushings.

CM

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a RIP 9 with about a year and half on it. I had been chasing a creek for much fo the summer and fall. I replaced the bearing ans still had the creek. A week ago I took the shock off placed it in a vise and had play inthe bottom DU bushing. replaced the bushing and the credk went away. Check your DU bushings.

CM
For some reason a DU bushing is not registering. Help me out, what is a DU bushing? Where did you get a new one?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts