Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't even unboxed my 2010 Rev Team QR yet (soon...soon...) and I'm already wondering if I should have gone Maxle instead. Is it possible to swap the Rev lowers out for Maxle lowers? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but just wondering if anyone has done this. More importantly, how much would it cost? Would RockShox or PUSH be able to do this and how much would it cost?

In particular, are the lowers for U-turn and non-uturn versions compatible? (I'm guessing yes).

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just go for the 20mm now. I went through this last year and it isn't worth the hassle. I did put 20mm lowers on my 2009, it worked fine. There really isn't a cheap way to get lowers. 2009 were compatible with the older gen forks, so you had a chance of snagging some used for less. But new 2010 lowers are going to be $150-200.

Also, there is an issue of fork offsets. Darren at Push seemed surprised that the qr uppers worked with the 20mm lowers due to different offsets. I have never confirmed this as I haven't seen any tech docs from RS with that info. So in 2010 you could also have that problem. Personally I liked the way it rode, so it wasn't IMO adversely effected.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think about the fork offset...From looking at the photos, the 20mm axle is maybe slightly ahead of the QR axle, so with the QR uppers the trail could be reduced and make things more twitchy. So it does make sense to match uppers to lowers.

Too late to switch now, already bought the QR fork. The QR Rev is supposed to be as stiff or stiffer than my Marz All Mountain 1, which I'm happy with as far as tracking goes. I got a good deal on the Rev thanks to the ebay cashback so cost wise swapping lowers might actually be cheaper than buying the 20mm fork to begin with. Too bad it will change the way the fork handles :/

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One Pivot said:
you cant resell it and get the 20mm?

i dont see myself ever paying for another fork without a 20mm. after being on one for a season , theres just no going back. its a big difference.
Reselling is an option, but for the moment the QR will do. I was asking about the lower swap just to weight my options later on down the road when I start to ride more gnarlier stuff like rock gardens, where front wheel tracking is more noticeable.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
One Pivot said:
i dont see myself ever paying for another fork without a 20mm. after being on one for a season , theres just no going back. its a big difference.
Yep, even my 29ers get the 20mm forks. Only reason to QR for me is if I were fully weight weenied out. At 240lb that scenario isn't too likely ;)

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i am dealing with the same issue. i was intending on getting the maxle version, but i got a brand new qr sl version for $322 shipped and haven't been able to find a maxle version for any less than $500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.