Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my first real ride is 0730 thursday morning. i'll have pics and a better ride report up then!

i know it's not right, but the best way to describe it is that a bmx bike and a dh bike had a love child. it's weird.....

im coming from a 2009 giant reign 1 i raced super d in all last year, so yeah.

anyways, i bought this bike just from the info on the web, never say one in person and i have to say i have no remorse and am sooo happy so far.

impressed!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very interested to hear the report. I am toying with the idea of picking one up. I have ridden an EX 9.8 (and 9.0) that last couple of years, and this years isn't available for another 3.5 months!!!! So I might get a remedy instead! I know it's a sweat ride, perfect for my style if I am in Moab or Southern UT, but I don't know if I make it there enough to justify it... Most the riding in North UT just doesn't warrant the 150mm travel, in my opinion.... agh... too many decisions!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all stock but the tires/tubes. i took the bontrager xdx's off right away and threw on some tubeless nevegals with stans.

the handle bar is wwwaaaayyy wide for a 15.5" frame, so that is the next thing to be swapped. and then a joplin seat post.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love mine, but am still rocking the XDX's. They've been great on my trails in the southeast. Big casing and grip on everything when you run low pressure. Been on the bike since november and really like it, but have to say its softer than the other remedy's I've owned (this is my 3rd.)

It feels like these bikes have moved from a DH based XC bike to a trail bike based DH bike. My 2007 remedy 6 felt like a freeride bike that survived climbs. My 2008 remedy 9 is the do it all bike great on climbs, even better on descents. My 2010 remedy 9.8 is AMAZING on climbs- especially technical ones- and really good coming down too.

I think this new model would be ideal for super d racing, but doesn't quite descend with the aplomb of previous models. I think trek has really closed the gap between the remedy and ex since bringing out the scratch. I also had a 2008 ex, and the new remedy is everything i wanted in my ex. But i'm still sort of wanting a carbon version of my 2008 bike.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
money no object, i would have a top fuel and a scratch.

in the mean time i will rock the remedy and be more than happy!

if they had kept a 36 fork for 2010 and slackened the angles just a tiny, but then it would b ea scracth. hahaha

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good eye and good call on the weight!! i'm gonna run them down quick and throw what i normally run,

maxxis minion front and high roller rear for when race season starts.

yeah, these werent my first choice but it is what was in the shop when i built my bike. i was excited and not clear of mind. hahaha.

at a minimum i shoulda just grabbed the regular nevegals since i was doing the tubeless conversion right then anyways. when i switch to ligher tires i will be under 28lbs!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
two things:

rowdstar, can you let me know how your front D alignment is?? i'm curious about these direct mount front derailleurs. ie can you snap a picture of the front D from above in the 22t ring and 34t cog?? i'm curious if your chain rubs the derailleur cage.

you should (as an eastcoaster i'm very happy w/ them) check out conti mtn king PROtection 2.4 tires. i run them w/ stans no problem on bontrager wheels. much much lighter than nevegals and very sticky. i've used both so i can say this.

anyways, awesome bike!!! i wanted a remedy but settled for a GF roscoe. i couldn't wait for the remedy. patience is not one of my strong points. thanks!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, i do rub. and it seems very sensitive to cable tension.

i made sure my height was spot on and also gave the cage a little hand tweaking. but still, i had to pick where i didn't mind rubbing happening.

oh, and to top if off my first ride on it was in wet sand. all sorts of fun noises now and small detail things to reclean and lube.

initial first impression is very very good though. and i think trek's guidelines on suspension set up are about 5% light in the air, but spot on for rebound.

i ordered new grips, joplin r, new seat clamp as well. I will probably be switching to a 34-22 dual set up in the front.

anyone have any reccomendations on how to set this up best??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
size 15.5 with these mods:
2..35 nevegal ust tires with one cup stans each
bontrager tublesss kit
ritchey CF handlebar
xtr pedals
trek incite 8 wireless computer
modified seatpost clamp
race face bashring
sram 9 hollowpin chaing
xt rear cassette 11-32t
lizard skins peaty grips

and i am at 28lbs 6.

when i add my joplin r i am sure that will kill me from being in the 28lbs area. oh well....

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,299 Posts
Yeah. Nevegals suck, they have a lot of rolling resistance and crap sidewalls. I wouldn't just throw out the stock tires, Big Earls came on my Session 88 and they are way better than expected. For trail tires, check out the Conti Rubber Queen 2.4, it's big and barely fits in the rear of my '09 Remedy, but should go on the front no problem. Best single ply tire I've ever used, and on sale at bikebling. The 2.2s are good but do not have the same rubber compound. Also, I've tried Maxxis Ardent 2.25s, they are a good rear tire (drifts predictably) and rolls very fast compared to Minion / HRs.

Nice bike, but I'm in no hurry to get rid of my '09.... :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Cluckin' Hyde said:
I love mine, but am still rocking the XDX's. They've been great on my trails in the southeast. Big casing and grip on everything when you run low pressure. Been on the bike since november and really like it, but have to say its softer than the other remedy's I've owned (this is my 3rd.)

I laughed when I first saw these tires come with my bike. After a few rides on them, however, I have to say they are extremely fast and hook up pretty well on the hard pack trails.

Later on in the season when the the trails get dusty and loose, the Minions will be back on the bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts