Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

$999 from Jenson. Doesn't come with the integrated stem like the old 888s.

Awesome performance. The volume adjustment is a great feature. It's like raising and lowering the oil level just by turning a knob. The fork is very plush on the croppy stuff and takes the big hits no problem. A quick release axle would be a nice feature (like the 66 RC3) but I don't mind the extra time to remove the front wheel.

It's head and shoulders above the Totem coil that came with the bike. The Totem is a good fork but it's not as plush and I would still bottom it out on the big stuff with the high speed compression 1 click out from all the way in.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Nice bike...looks fab..........

since everyone knows I am a Marz whore....

I will just say this...the new 888's are as plush as the Shiver and feel stiff like the old Monsters....definately the best product in 8 years

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I hated the last 2 or 3 years of Marz logos and products, but for Marz to make a product that was awesome, then sucked, then was awesome again... you'd think their marketing department could do something other than design graphics that follow the flow of their quality control.

Same logo as a few years ago. It's like they literally did virtually nothing other than going back to 2006.

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
Sweeeeeeeet. I called Marzocchi to see how much that Evo cart was going to retail for...$500! I'm probably gonna hold out for an Avalanche Cartridge. I love my '09 888 ATA. It's good to see someone giving Marzocchi a try after 2008.

·
Registered
225 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Nice bike...looks fab..........

since everyone knows I am a Marz whore....

I will just say this...the new 888's are as plush as the Shiver and feel stiff like the old Monsters....definately the best product in 8 years
yea bob you should check out my evo ti :thumbsup: thing is uber plush and light as hell.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
i ran a 2008 888RC3 for a couple of seasons.. and was one of the lucky ones to have had no issues with it, other than some minor bushing slop after pounding on it for almost 2 years.

I had the lowers replaced a couple of weeks ago with the new 2010 casting, with the new bushing design. The lowers are tight and the bushings feel smooth right out of the gate. Definitely stoked on the Marzocchi comeback!

·
Registered
199 Posts
blender said:
i ran a 2008 888RC3 for a couple of seasons.. and was one of the lucky ones to have had no issues with it, other than some minor bushing slop after pounding on it for almost 2 years.

I had the lowers replaced a couple of weeks ago with the new 2010 casting, with the new bushing design. The lowers are tight and the bushings feel smooth right out of the gate. Definitely stoked on the Marzocchi comeback!
Hi. May i know how you got ur lowers replaced? You send it back to Marzocchi? Would be getting my first Marz soon, which is a 2008 66 RCV. If my fork ever needs seal replacement, i would be following your method. :)

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
i live in SoCal, so i just drove over to Marzocchi USA to get it done.

Their service is top notch, and they're some of the nicest guys i've dealt with in the industry.
If your fork ever needs work, just call them up.. talk to Ronnie or Gideon, and explain your issues. They'll give you an RA number, and you can mail your fork in for service.

·
Registered
199 Posts
blender said:
i live in SoCal, so i just drove over to Marzocchi USA to get it done.

Their service is top notch, and they're some of the nicest guys i've dealt with in the industry.
If your fork ever needs work, just call them up.. talk to Ronnie or Gideon, and explain your issues. They'll give you an RA number, and you can mail your fork in for service.
Thats nice. But main problem for me is, i live in South East Asia, Singapore. Wonder if i can get any of such help :confused:

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
you will likely have to go through your local distributor, which unfortunately might take considerably more time.
I would think about a backup fork, something to use if your 66 is out for service.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
blender said:
there is a simple solution to that
it's called "get the proper spring for your weight" :thumbsup:
Seriously think before you post because you basicaly called me an idiot, douche. I've got the proper spring, is it not even possible not to think about it? I know quite a lot of people who also feel it - their zokes work great but have far less stabilty than other forks.

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
blender said:

How much did they cost?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,826 Posts
blender said:
there is a simple solution to that
it's called "get the proper spring for your weight" :thumbsup:
No, if you have the proper sag you have the proper spring rate, the rest should be done with damping. If the fork blows through it's travel (as my marzocchis do) it's because it has weak low-speed compression. I up the oil levels so they won't bottom out, and with the right amount of sag they run correctly over choppy stuff, but they dive off of everything, and if you add a bunch of "compression", it makes the fork crappy overall. This is basically because marzocchi has never really made anything better than the cartridge that came in the first generation of bombers...until 2010 with the new "Evo" cart. The "Evo" cart isn't even all that advanced, definitely not up to the level of the other manufacturers, but it is a huge step finally and combined with other marzocchi features it makes for something that actually works and can have more low-speed compression without turning the high-speed into crap.

If you are used to riding fox forks where you can't adjust the bottom-out (or can't adjust it without servicing the fork and adjusting the hydraulic anti-bottoming cone), then yes, you might think that you have to get a "REALLY STIFF" spring if you are bottoming your fork or it's diving, but that's kind of the whole reason we have a damper in the fork and not just a spring, so we can control these things. Marzocchi's attempts have been very half-ass over the years. I love my 06 66 chassi and it's a decent fork, but my 888 RC3 WC just doesn't cut it, compared to my avalanche rear shocks it's pretty crappy. I'd love to have a front DH fork that is of the same caliber as my rear shock. I'll probably save up for the Avalanche fork-cartridge that will be comming out for the 888. Due to how half-assed the marzocchi damping system has been for so long, I'll probably skip the Evo, even if it is that much better. They should have fixed that 5 years ago.

You may be right that on some products you'd have to get a higher rate spring to solve some of these issues, but it would run like crap and make all sorts of other issues. Bottom line is the crappy damper design.

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
The RC3 cartridge is plenty good enough for the majority of the riders out there. If you want the tune-ability that Jayem likes then I guess you shouldn't buy a Marzocchi...

With that said I wouldn't ride a 40 if it was given too me. I would probably sell it to the sucker who would pay $1200 for it just to never win any race he enters.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Jayem said:
No, if you have the proper sag you have the proper spring rate, the rest should be done with damping. If the fork blows through it's travel (as my marzocchis do) it's because it has weak low-speed compression. I up the oil levels so they won't bottom out, and with the right amount of sag they run correctly over choppy stuff, but they dive off of everything, and if you add a bunch of "compression", it makes the fork crappy overall. This is basically because marzocchi has never really made anything better than the cartridge that came in the first generation of bombers...until 2010 with the new "Evo" cart. The "Evo" cart isn't even all that advanced, definitely not up to the level of the other manufacturers, but it is a huge step finally and combined with other marzocchi features it makes for something that actually works and can have more low-speed compression without turning the high-speed into crap.

If you are used to riding fox forks where you can't adjust the bottom-out (or can't adjust it without servicing the fork and adjusting the hydraulic anti-bottoming cone), then yes, you might think that you have to get a "REALLY STIFF" spring if you are bottoming your fork or it's diving, but that's kind of the whole reason we have a damper in the fork and not just a spring, so we can control these things. Marzocchi's attempts have been very half-ass over the years. I love my 06 66 chassi and it's a decent fork, but my 888 RC3 WC just doesn't cut it, compared to my avalanche rear shocks it's pretty crappy. I'd love to have a front DH fork that is of the same caliber as my rear shock. I'll probably save up for the Avalanche fork-cartridge that will be comming out for the 888. Due to how half-assed the marzocchi damping system has been for so long, I'll probably skip the Evo, even if it is that much better. They should have fixed that 5 years ago.

You may be right that on some products you'd have to get a higher rate spring to solve some of these issues, but it would run like crap and make all sorts of other issues. Bottom line is the crappy damper design.
Thanks, that's what I was basicaly asking for. I have no problems with bottoming out my 07 rc2x but unless I run it crazy damped it feels loose and dives to easily compared to intrinsic,motion controll, fox thingy whatever it's called. I still like my rc2x for it's reliability and strength but that feeling pisses me off. I kinda wish I didn't have to finish a flat because I'd just go for the idylle (you can sometimes spot them used in good condition) as the new boxxer hassle scares the crap out of me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.