Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a 2010 Kona unit but I'm left with some unanswered questions:

1) The bike comes with cable stops for front and rear derailleurs but the chainside dropout doesn't have a derailleur hanger. I entent to mostly ride it singlespeed but wouldn't mind having the option later. Does a different slider dropout exists that will have threads for a derailleur hanger? If so, where do I get one, don't find anything on it on there website.

2) size wise, I'm 6 foot, I tried a 18" but that was too small. I can't try an other size. So, I'm debating a 19" or a 20". Do 29ers usually have a longer toptube then 26ers? What size would be most suitable for long distance riding.

3) the rear hub is a singlespeed model. Does anyone has any experience with those on the Unit. How does the locking of the cog works (looked different then on a regular cassette hub). Are the cogs just singlespeed cogs like the ones for cassette hubs?

Any advice or information is welcome. Even if it's just to say that I asked stupid questions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
1. You get the dropout from any Kona dealer.

2. I'm 6'0 with a 34 inch inseam. I just built up a 19 inch frame and it fits me perfectly.
A 20 would be too big, I could do it but 19 is just right.

3. I only go tthe frame from Kona so I can't help you with that.

My bike is amazing; smooth, quick handling, light, good looking and inexpensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
For no 3), the hub is a Formula single speed hub - it's got normal cassette splines on so any standard SS cog (Surly etc) works fine. Lockring threads on and is tightened with a C spanner or something similar. It all works pretty well, the hub reliability is pretty solid in my experience, although that might not be saying much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,

thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

Nice bike Sweeney.

PhatSlug, that's just what it looked like on the one I saw. Thanks for the info.

Guess I'll go for the 19" one, will go to the shop next week and order one. I will need different tires though. It comes with Kenda small blocks but living in Belgium, pretty much every day is a mudfest and it looks like those things will be useless!
Am still hoping to get the geared dropout too. I might do some bikepacking trips on it in the future and I'm not sure that singlespeed would be the way to go then.
Will also need some different cogs to experiment with. Will start with the 32/18 that it comes with and see where that takes me. My guess is that I'll need something like 32/20 for the hillier rides.

Will post pictures ones I get it but they told me it could be over a month...

·
Registered
720 Posts
32/20 is working out just fine for me on Long Island. Some short steep hills are a full body experience though. I get up everything I got up on my geared Niner and I struggle on the same hills I did width gears. I hate to think it but I'll probably need to go 32/22 when I go up to the Hudson Valley later this year.

Here's another thread showing the versatility of this bike;

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=579219&highlight=Kona+Unit

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link to that thread. That's sort of what I have in mind with the bike. That's why I'm still interested in the geared version of the dropout.

Yes, singlespeed is hard work! :)

I regularly do 100km plus rides on my singlespeed singlecross (mostly offroad, not too technical) and that bike has 42/18 gearing. It's mostly rolling hills, not too steep and not too long.
A while ago, I totally bonked 5 minutes from my house after a 5 hour ride. I could not make it up to the top of the last hill. Nothing steep but the legs had turned into jelly long before and the mind gave up! I had to sit down on the ground as even walking on my shaky legs was impossible. That being said, this has happened a few times on a geared bike too.
I'm really looking forward to riding the bike on longer mountainbike rides and see how it goes there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I just went to the bike shop to order one of these in size 19"... and they will only be available in april around here! :madman:
Ordered one anyway! Had another good look at the 18" (the only Unit in the Benelux?) and it really is a gorgeous bike!
The wait begins now.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Great choice! You will be very happy with the Unit. April is just around the corner and besides I have a new one that I can't ride most of the time because it's too dark after work, it's raining and 30 degrees on the weekends or it's snowing and icy. Yes, April is just around the corner and I can't wait!

·
Registered
710 Posts
PhatSlug said:
For no 3), the hub is a Formula single speed hub - it's got normal cassette splines on so any standard SS cog (Surly etc) works fine. Lockring threads on and is tightened with a C spanner or something similar. It all works pretty well, the hub reliability is pretty solid in my experience, although that might not be saying much.
Just to add my 2 cents. I have a 2009 with the same rear hub and have had issues with mine. It started sticking and not spinning smoothly about 4 months after I got it last rear. Ran it like that for the season and then took it in to have it looked at at the dealer. Kona agreed to replace it under warranty and I have been waiting for 1 month for the parts and still nothing. They are now saying it might take another month. I am thinking about just getting a new set of wheels instead of waiting and then when the parts come in I will get them to fix the wheel and keep it as a spare set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.