Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took delivery of a Large 2010 Jet 9 in Kermit Green....:thumbsup:

Currently swapping the majority of parts over from my EMD to the Jet. Going to be using the Rebas off the EMD which has a standard steerer.

The frame was delivered without a headset so I looked up the spec required, which I believed to be SHIS ZS44/28.6 ZS56/30, so bought a Hope Tapered HS with reducer from my LBS. Came to fit it last night to find it was not the right size or fit.

Following further research on the web it appears the headset spec changed between the 2010 & 2011 model. So the headset spec I'm looking for now is SHIS IS42/28.6 IS52/30.

Googled round for a new headset but only found an FSA Orbit C-40 Tapered Bearing Headset that looked suitable?

Two questions....

1) Why did Niner change the headset spec between the 2010 and 2011 models, IS to ZS?

2) Can anyone recommend a good quality headset (available in the UK). Would be nice if it was available in anodized red.

Cheers
Vince.:)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Vince,

I am sorry that you ordered the wrong headset. Everything on the webpage is the spec for the current bikes. For your non tapered fork you would use IS42/28.6 | IS52/30. We offer an FSA headset through our dealers that works really well or you can get a headset through Cane Creek that also works great. We changed the headset spec to take advantage of all the great zero stack headsets that are available now. It also allows you to use the AngleSet headset so you can fine tune your head angle.

If you have any more questions just give me a call,
Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Eric:thumbsup:

All sorted now have now ordered a KCNC PT1860 Taper Steerer Headset Integrated from here.....bonus is its available in red.....

So will wait and see if i can get the build completed and post up some pics....

Cheers
Vince....:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.