Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 100 of 293 Posts

·
Crash test dummy
67 Posts
Got my new front brake today it's looking good!

Im pleased with selling the stock mounted R1 Carbons and changing them with Hope Race brakes. Not that fragile feel I got from the R1's. They are lighter aswell and have a more distinct feel. Im very pleased.

Attachments

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
nope Hope for me

anyone know how far the brake pads retract? ...or the rotors braking track width?

i'm used to 7mm pad spacing/retraction on my mag Marta's and use slightly wobbly Scrub rotors

these X2's look like they'd benefit massively with a Goodridge hose upgrade

·
Registered
153 Posts
What Mountain Bike Mag

very disappointing review 2.5/5 in latest WMB mag. strange as MBR gave them 10 a couple of issues again. My rear has just arrived to complete the set and i'm hoping the reviews are wrong. main gripe was lack of power... i never had any issue with old mono mini pros so as long as similar to that i'll be good.

PeteN, how they doing on stumpy? power an issue running the standard 160 front? i hope to get out this weekend and see that they are wrong!!! i wont be happy as sold my XXs to get them!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just got my set in. 160mm F and 140 R, first race will be this Saturday on them. Here are some pics of the weights

Front 160mm Rotor w/ Ti Bolts

Front Caliper w/ Hose

Mounting Hardware

Rear 140mm Rotor w/ Ti Bolts

Rear Caliper

Rear I.S. Adapter w/ Bolts

The 6 Ti bolts weigh about 7-8 grams, so about 79 grams for 160mm Rotor and 63g for 140mm Rotor.

Total weight is 290g for front and 304g for the rear.

I'll post again when I have actually used them :)

BTW, going on my 2008 Specialized Epic Marathon build, should be sweeeeeeeeeeet! :thumbsup:

I also plan to get the XTR Matchmaker from hope this week and later on get the carbon levers.

·
Registered
821 Posts
dparry said:
very disappointing review 2.5/5 in latest WMB mag. strange as MBR gave them 10 a couple of issues again. My rear has just arrived to complete the set and i'm hoping the reviews are wrong. main gripe was lack of power... i never had any issue with old mono mini pros so as long as similar to that i'll be good.

PeteN, how they doing on stumpy? power an issue running the standard 160 front? i hope to get out this weekend and see that they are wrong!!! i wont be happy as sold my XXs to get them!
I saw that review, and was very surprised. The weird thing is at the bottom of the review it says that recently tested brakes will have a lower score because of the way they test things now, so all a bit crap really. The gripe was as you said, lack of power. I am not finding this and as I said earlier they are at least as powerful as my old mono mini's. They do the test to a certain pressure on the lever. The levers are short but I have no complaints whatsoever. I don't have big forearms and have no fatigue from pulling these levers, as hinted in the review. If you have to pull the brakes slightly harder, so what, it's not an issue at all for me with skinny arms.
I am not a big fan of bike radar, there reviews are often inconsistent, and the testers come from What MTB and MTB UK, both not too good in my opinion.
Anyway I hope they live up to your expectations as you have a broader range of brake use to compare to.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just looked up MBRs review and yes they gave them 10/10 so the reviews are very mixed. Thanks for the info on the german test but who on earth would ride a set of xc race brakes in the Alps.( remember the Germans and Brits are very competetive;-) The brakes are good at what they are designed for, yes descents and drops etc but not Alpine descents. I have ridden out there many times and you need much bigger rotors and also bigger calipers.

Dparry I look forward to your review against the xx and I genuinly think the brakes will be perfect on your S Works HT race bike, it's what they're really for. They are great for UK riding where things aren't quite so big.

Culturesponge

I think the Hopes will struggle with your scrub rotors. The gap between pads is only just over 3mm. That being said they don't rub at all either side front or back though the Hope discs do seem very true.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm, i have a hard time choosing beetween these and the R1s! I'd go 160/140, that's for certain! Before reading some of these accounts of poor braking power, i'd been sure i'd get the Hope, but now it seems i'm more inclined to get the Formulas...
Any thoughts?

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
That test where they put down Hope Race brakes, there's something very wrong with it. For instance, Avid Codes are way below, whereas they should be right up there with Saints.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Pete N said:
but who on earth would ride a set of xc race brakes in the Alps.
Many, many, many great races are in the Alps. Absolutely no complaints with my (xc) R1 breaks there so far.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not really what they are designed for, that is my point. They may have tested them on major downhill sections. Don't get me wrong it may show they are not up to such demands but on what terrain they tested we will never know. I've had all sorts of brakes boil in the Alps and become useless, but it isn't particularly XC that I rode, hence the chairlifts up at certain times. Sure there is XC in the Alps but most people go beyond that.
It is akin to testing a ferrari off road and wondering why it isn't as fast as a Land Rover. This is why brake manufacturers make more than one type of brake, for different uses.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
no Hope for me

Pete N said:
I think the Hopes will struggle with your scrub rotors. The gap between pads is only just over 3mm. That being said they don't rub at all either side front or back though the Hope discs do seem very true.
thanks Pete

the production X2's have been a let-down for me: mediocre performance + 160mm only upfront & no trick carbon levers/res covers but the same RRP - i Hope the 2011 version will have it all nailed?

anyway, bought some ltd edition all black Formula R1's last week (less than X2's) - so will probably have to give up my slightly wobbly Scrubs anyway at least till their new rotors come out with the mag spiders

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
In contrast, the R1s behave like a Ferrari on the road and like a Land Rover offroad. The X2s may be good breaks for lowland xc conditions, however, they will always have to face comparisions with the R1 (unless they become significantly lighter). And the break is the one piece where I really do not make any compromise. Even in the midlands with descents of only 100 or 200 meters in height poor breaking power can really suck when it's wet and muddy combined with an aggressive vertical riding style.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Don't get me wrong, everyone knows the r1's punch well above their weight when it comes to stopping power and I seriously considered these, but after reading all the reviews of binding pads and their temeramental nature I couldn't be bothered. Spending too much time maintaining them really didn't appeal. The Hopes I'm sure will be as reliable as ever and the reviews vary. Mbr don't give 10/10 lightly. With two broken arms in the last 3 years I would ditch these asap if they werent up to the job, believe me. I have done some long descents in this horrible muddy winter and they have yet to let me down. So maybe I have to pull a bit harder to get the same power but this is no big deal for me. When I go to the Alps next, I won't be using them, bigger rotors and calipers for me. Enjoy your R1's

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pete N , totally agree... the word 'Race' kind of gives the intent of these brakes away. the R1s are fantastic and i have put 'the one's' on my full suss stumpy, love em. for me, modulation and control is key for racing.... not outright stopping power. the only feedback from lack of power i have heard is from what mountain bike review.. nothing from actual users. anyhoo, i hope to see real life findings this weekend.... this isnt about 'my brake is better than your brake'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
dparry, definitely looking forward to your first-hand impressions, because i so badly want those Hopes, rather than the Formulas..i do so hope i won't have to get the Formulas in the end!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Doh, the rear brake cable is not long enough to be "properly" routed on my XL Specialized Epic. Do Hope sell other length cables for the X2? I guess I will have to call them tomorrow (again for 5th time?!) haha :)

81 - 100 of 293 Posts