Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANybody hear much about this new 30 mpg freeway vehicle? I am looking for a bike transporting car and wonder if this one will be any good. I'm thinking honda element, but think this and the subaru Forester/outback look cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I personally think its a great looking vehicle. I think it blows the Asian manufactures competition away. If you do look at the various vehicles, check out the ergonomics, the way the doors shut and the features and price. I think you will find out GMC/ Chevy/ Ford/ Chrysler make better vehicles and the fact alone that it supports our ecomony and domestic manufacturing is a great reason to consider buying American. I have always owned American cars/ trucks/ suv's and have never had any problems to speak of in over 1,000,000 miles of driving.

·
another day at the office
1,197 Posts
CarReview will get a week a with the GMC Terrain the 1st week of December. Sorry, I can't provide any input today.

The Equinox ain't all that bad. It is a small crossover, so don't expect to fit too much inside. What we liked is the nimble handling characteristics, the comfy leather seats, and interior/exterior styling.

The Equinox looks good, but GM still needs to work on their ergonomics. Also, the 4-cylinder engine is tuned for fuel efficiency. Drivers should choose the V6 option if they crave power.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i'd go for the element instead, i dont know the price of the gmc, but the element is a pretty good buy for a car, you get lots of off-road-ability with it with the rubberized interior. with the honda, you get reliability, resale, and utility all in one vehicle. u can also check out the best selling cr-v while ur at the dealer also

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hurricane Jeff said:
I personally think its a great looking vehicle. I think it blows the Asian manufactures competition away. If you do look at the various vehicles, check out the ergonomics, the way the doors shut and the features and price. I think you will find out GMC/ Chevy/ Ford/ Chrysler make better vehicles and the fact alone that it supports our ecomony and domestic manufacturing is a great reason to consider buying American. I have always owned American cars/ trucks/ suv's and have never had any problems to speak of in over 1,000,000 miles of driving.
I don't think you can judge the reliability of a car based on how well the doors shut. I'm sure there's an engineer who's entire job is designing the doors, but typically solid doors are a little heavier. In today's world, gas mileage is everything, i'm sure the trend is leading towards sacrificing a solid shutting door for less weight in the vehicle. American and foreign.

If you've only owned American cars and trucks, how can you say they are better? You have nothing to compare it to other than here-say from friends you've had. Much of the reliability of vehicles are in the maintenance and how people treat the vehicles. I've owned both foreign and domestic cars, over a million miles. I can tell you there's a reason why american car don't hold their resale value better than foreign. They really don't hold up as well over the long run. American interiors have gotten better over the years, but that's mostly because they copy off of honda and toyota. Only recently has ford and chevy realized this, now their ergonomics are much better. Chrysler has a ways to go, but hopefully Fiat will help them in that department.

As far as engines go, i've never had any luck with Chevy or ford. I buy my cars new and am a stickler for maintenance. I've been very happy with Honda, toyota, and subaru. I typically don't start looking for a new car until they near 200k miles. By then, they aren't worth much so i sell them to a neice or nephew for really cheap.

Ford and chevy have gotten better these past couple years. Maybe i'll give them a chance to redeem themselves.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Anyone grab one of these yet? The rear cargo area seems downright cavernous. The ride on these things is supposed to be wonderful, and so far many people are reporting that they're getting close to the EPA reported estimates. The base version seems to come very well equipped, at that.

·
1,197 Posts
jcaino said:
Anyone grab one of these yet? The rear cargo area seems downright cavernous. The ride on these things is supposed to be wonderful, and so far many people are reporting that they're getting close to the EPA reported estimates. The base version seems to come very well equipped, at that.
I wouldn't describe the rear cargo area as cavernous, but it can fit a good amount of stuff for a compact SUV. We were able to stuff a couple of road bikes in the back, an extra set of wheels, cooler, luggage, shoes and other miscellaneous items. All that and seat 3 people comfortably for the trip.

I'll post a link to the pro-review in a couple of days. I need to do some final editing before publishing the review.

Attachments

·
1,197 Posts
GMC Style

Recognizable GMC styling queues with the all--new 2010 Terrain. GM is thinking that compact SUVs are going to be a popular trend because the same unibody underpinnings are also used with the Chevy Equinox and Cadillac SRX.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
bustamove said:
I wouldn't describe the rear cargo area as cavernous, but it can fit a good amount of stuff for a compact SUV. We were able to stuff a couple of road bikes in the back, an extra set of wheels, cooler, luggage, shoes and other miscellaneous items. All that and seat 3 people comfortably for the trip.

I'll post a link to the pro-review in a couple of days. I need to do some final editing before publishing the review.
Relatively cavernous, that is. Getting 3 road bikes in the back, with a seat still up, is no small feat. There don't seem to be all that many vehicles that can do that and get 30mpg+ on the highway.

If the USA was more diesel friendly, that would change a bit...but I'm definitely leaning towards this as the wife's next car.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
C&D just tested 8 "cute utes" and the Equinox came in 6th. I don't remember the whole list, but IIRC:

1) Rav4 V6 Limited
2) VW Tiguan
6) Equinox
8) Ford Escape

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
looks like another disposable GM to me........

1 - 20 of 48 Posts