Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Addicted
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know you guys have been swapping out the rear shocks on these Reigns to 7.875x2.25 to grab and extra 3/4" of travel, I believe I've read that some of you guys are swapping to coils in the back as well.

How has that worked for you?
Is there any odd behavioral issues with the Reigns leverage curves?
Any issues fitting the coil shocks in the frame?

I'm going to be keeping my Float around as a back up.
I'm trying to decide on whether I should go with a Ti sprung coil shock for the small bump compliance/lack of pedaling platform... or going with a more "freeride/DH" oriented rear shock.

*I will not be trying to increase the travel by fitting a longer stroke shock. I'm very satisfied with the 6" as it is.

Lets discuss.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I put a 7.875x2.25 Elka Stage 5 coil on my 2009, and I could not be more pleased.

The bike just eats terrain now. I had a DHX air 4.0 on there before in the stock length. I don't even feel as if climbing has really suffered. However, I never used pro pedal on climbs. The DHX air would just blow through the travel too much. Like it was plush, then too soft, then very stiff at the end of the stroke. The Elka is plush from top to bottom.
Honestly, I am not sure why you wouldn't go for the extra little bit of travel, but to each their own.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
Have a 2.25" Fox Vanilla on mine, replacing the 2" DHX-4 air. Better in every way except it's quite a bit heavier. For me, I don't care. Weight be damned.

·
Addicted
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have my Fox RP rear shock for days where I feel like saving a bit of weight.
I'm still up in the air about whether to go Ti sprung Vivid or Monarch Plus RC3.

My goal for my Reign is to build a sub 27lb 6" travel "do everything" bike with a height adj post. I'm pretty sure that I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of weight for a more compliant rear end; especially when considering that the shock is in the what is essentially the "fulcrum point" of the bike and won't really be felt too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts