Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does any one know if the fox van r is position sensitive or speed sensitive.If I understand corectly speed sensitive is just shim controled compresion where position sensitive is controled by the pressure in the boost valve.

I am searching for a low budged shock to replace my vanilla RC wich blows thrue travel and bottoms out harshly.I do not have the money for a vivid or dhx and the swinger blew twice on me in 1 month.
As I could get a cheap 2010 van r, I would mod it with a shrader mod , reduce the air volume
and make it progressive and ramp up.

Any thoughts? I get the van r for 50€ so a no brainer, but if it will blow thrue travel like the old
vanilla RC its a waste of money.

That is my leverage ratio wich I think is quite progressive, so I dont know why iam bottoming shocks so harsh,I have the corerct spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I wish you said it before.The VAN R is a vanilla RC on a DHX chassis.It has no propedal
boost valve, just a hole connecting the main body to the piggy.Its even worse than my old RC
since I can't adjust the compression.
I found some information its a DHX without external adjustments , but its clearly not.Even the main piston is exactly the same as my Vanilla RC.

The worst part is, I was searching for over a half year for an old or blown DHX.No luck.
Today I get an offer for an 2006 DHX from a spec SX and 2010 blown DHX 5.0 for 50€.
Murphy law?Damn I hate life sometimes :madman:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I was reading it wrong.I am really done with fox shocks.I went for the blown dhx , fixed it,
rebuild it after the tutorial.But the bottom out is way different than i thought.I still bottom it out if I run below 200 psi in the boost chamber with bottom out all the way in.I ether bottom it out or I have a very stiff low speed compression.
I feel no ramp up if I mount it without the spring , and compress the bike.It is working since the low speed compression changes with the pressure.I really wish I went for the vivid with the drop stop system.
I really dont know anymore, ether i have small bump compliance or bottom out resistance.And dailed in , my old vannila RC worked the same as a DHX. I just wasted money on a hype that DHX is pure awesomeness

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
morphadron said:
I went for the blown dhx , fixed it,rebuild it
You should consider sending the DHX to Push and have them FIX IT! for you!

They will tune it for your weight, style of riding, AND the leverage rate of your bike!:thumbsup:

my 2c

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes I have spend so much time on the push site drolling over the (MX) tune.Money is the problem ,but it seems as its the only option to get a good shock for my bike.
I have just read so many good things about the DHX, I really don't understand why I don't like it or why others like it so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.