Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my S-works for some time as Specialized goes round and round with their crazed answers on delivery and compatibility comments regarding crank sets for the S-Works Epic frame. I have been told that ONLY the S-works cranks will fit the frame natively and the 2x10 rings must come from a Sram distribution center. But the cranks have been B/O until at least March and still no word on the 28/42 sram spider and rings. Now, I am being told that XX cranks do work... Does anybody no the definitive answer?

As a work around I have been running a Shimano XTR crank set with BB adapters. I am not interested in running XX cranks in gpx and adapting them back via the adapter bearings I am currently using.

Thanks in advance,

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I dont know about the XX cranks working, but Quality Bicycle Components just got a shipment of the 42/28 and 39/26 XX chainring/spider combo for the specialized cranks. They dont have a ton of them, but if you contact your shop, i am sure they can snag them for you. Then you just have to find a shop that has the "new" specialized mtn crank tool to change them.

But i guess that doesnt help if specialized dosent have the cranks instock.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jut8 said:
I dont know about the XX cranks working, but Quality Bicycle Components just got a shipment of the 42/28 and 39/26 XX chainring/spider combo for the specialized cranks. They dont have a ton of them, but if you contact your shop, i am sure they can snag them for you. Then you just have to find a shop that has the "new" specialized mtn crank tool to change them.

But i guess that doesnt help if specialized dosent have the cranks instock.
thanks -- thats at least going in the correct direction -- any idea on the rough list of the spider combo? -- at this point price really isn't a issue just curious. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
410 Posts
NOt many cranks fit the frame. It's no bb30, Specializeds own brackets fits, it has a 84,5mm bracket width, no 73 like BB30.
You can fit LIghtning (cranks are like specializeds), s-works cranks, or extralite makes a special OSBB version for Specialized s-works cranks.
Also normal cranks fit with outboard bearings with 22mm axle like xtr and xt! with press in bearings.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ninko said:
NOt many cranks fit the frame. It's no bb30, Specializeds own brackets fits, it has a 84,5mm bracket width, no 73 like BB30.
You can fit LIghtning (cranks are like specializeds), s-works cranks, or extralite makes a special OSBB version for Specialized s-works cranks.
Also normal cranks fit with outboard bearings with 22mm axle like xtr and xt! with press in bearings.
thanks for the clarification on width -- the xtrs are working as a temp set -- I had lightnings but, no spider was available at the time and I think I had the wrong width. (still have a credit with them).. I was very concerned about their bearings - I heard they don't last long--

So my LBS telling me, specialized telling them, that XX cranks will now fit is off base -- as the BB is too wide - correct?

·
Registered
410 Posts
XX won;t fit with normal BB30 axle. Maybe the normal outboard bearing version will fit, and then you will have to mount shimano Press-fitt bearings. The combination won't be very light or add anything to your existing XTR set. XX isn't lighter either! I would suggest just keep riding the XTR, maybe convert them to 2x9 or take one of the brands I called...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also been stuck with the same problem.I'm running xtr 2by 9 and was just wondering ,will the sram xx blades work on a xtr crank so i can run 2by9 10 speed using my existing xtr crank.If it does that would be great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.