Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered swapping out their 2010 enduro frame for a 2012 stumpy evo frame? I'm liking the new design and 142 rear drop out.

Yes, i realize this sounds a little crazy but here's where i coming from: I love my enduro but I have started to reach it's limits on the DH stuff and I'm thinking about picking up a Demo or Transition TR250 for lift serviced riding and the enduro seems too close to those bikes in travel and capability. So I'm thinking my second bike needs to be closer to a trail only bike.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Anyone know the weight difference between enduro and stumpy evo frame?

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
Depends on where and what you ride. I have Demo8 (2008) and an Enduro (2005). I do not find them "too close" at all. Unless you're going to be riding them on the same trails. My Enduro is for xc, which around here is all about short ups and downs, roots, rock and mud. My DH bike is for lift-served areas only. I wouldn't ride my Enduro on those lift served trails (not with any frequency anyways, it would just break).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Depends on where and what you ride. I have Demo8 (2008) and an Enduro (2005). I do not find them "too close" at all. Unless you're going to be riding them on the same trails. My Enduro is for xc, which around here is all about short ups and downs, roots, rock and mud. My DH bike is for lift-served areas only. I wouldn't ride my Enduro on those lift served trails (not with any frequency anyways, it would just break).
your 2005 enduro is only a 130mm bike, thats 10mm less than a current stumpy fsr.
the current enduro is 160mm, so going to the 150mm stumpy fsr EVO would spread out that gap between a demo a bit.

swapping to the evo doesnt sound like a bad idea, i personally wouldnt bother. take the BIG bike out for lift access runs and use the enduro for everything else, if you happen to find yourself in some gnarly trails you know your enduro can take it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your 2005 enduro is only a 130mm bike, thats 10mm less than a current stumpy fsr.
the current enduro is 160mm, so going to the 150mm stumpy fsr EVO would spread out that gap between a demo a bit.

swapping to the evo doesnt sound like a bad idea, i personally wouldnt bother. take the BIG bike out for lift access runs and use the enduro for everything else, if you happen to find yourself in some gnarly trails you know your enduro can take it.
Yeah, I hear ya. Now i need to decide if i should get a demo or TR250. I ride mostly the Kingdom Trails (Burke Mtn.) and Highland. I enjoy both true DH trails and flowy jumpline trails.

·
mountain biker
535 Posts

Nope, my Enduro is 150mm. Plus, I have it short-shocked and with a 2009 Talas, which has 160mm of travel. So it is much more slacked out, and rides more like a modern AM bike. in fact, it rails. I'm having a hard time finding something that I like more.

but nevertheless, you got my point, which is that the big bike is suited to shuttles and lift-served areas. the Enduro goes everywhere else.

the stumpy evo would be a little lighter, climb a bit more deftly, yet may be not as durable as the enduro if you are constantly throwing it into big terrain constantly. it comes down to what the terrain you ride most frequently is...

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. Now i need to decide if i should get a demo or TR250. I ride mostly the Kingdom Trails (Burke Mtn.) and Highland. I enjoy both true DH trails and flowy jumpline trails.
Do you ride the xc trails at KT too? or just the gravity fed stuff? If only the gravity/shuttle, then get the appropriate bike for the job (TR250 or any other DH bike). the Enduro is not a DH bike, and you'll run into issues with longevity if you try and run it as a DH bike, or you'll spend more money upgrading parts to be DH worthy (e.g. fork, wheels and tires). Now, the Enduro SX is a different story...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would keep the Enduro and put the money towards a dh bike. I've been trying to decide whether to replace my 08 Enduro with an sx trail and have a more aggressive do it all bike. Or upgrade to stronger rims, hubs for my Enduro. But after much debating I'm planning on keeping my Enduro the way it is and invest into a used v10.3. Because its going to cost between 1500-2k dollars to upgrade my Enduro to make it more dh able, when I can put out 3k dollars for a used v10 which will handle those trails much better anyways.

Enduro for everything less than what the v10 will be used for. Just like in your case except different bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you ride the xc trails at KT too? or just the gravity fed stuff? If only the gravity/shuttle, then get the appropriate bike for the job (TR250 or any other DH bike). the Enduro is not a DH bike, and you'll run into issues with longevity if you try and run it as a DH bike, or you'll spend more money upgrading parts to be DH worthy (e.g. fork, wheels and tires). Now, the Enduro SX is a different story...
I ride all of KT (DH and XC).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.