Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have to say that I freaking LOVE the 2010 Enduro. They absolutely nailed the geometry, and the frame is noticeably stiffer than the previous Enduro, however I have the same complaint with the way the suspension handles high speed compression that I did with the 2007-2009/AFR setup.

Plowing through a fast section of rock strewn trail results in substantial clanking underfoot, which of course gets significantly more dramatic with higher ProPedal settings. Now, is the rp23 just ill equipped to handle such suspension events, or are my expectations unrealistic? I don't wish the bumps to be swallowed entirely, just for them to be more "damp" than what I'm experiencing.

My next step is to send the shock to PUSH for some love, but I'm also planning to order the EVO link/coil shock as soon as they're available.

I love the weight and uphill/low speed compression performance of the rp23, just want better high speed performance. I even experimented with lower air pressure, with minimal results.

The picture's just because.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well i have the same exact 2010 carbon rigg that you have and feel the same way. I've tried different air pressures/rebound settings and on quicker ruff descends i think i am not feeling enough plushness/compliance for a 160mm rear end that some compair similarity to the spesh demo's(BS!!).. I came off a 08' trek remedy with a 150mm rear and it was much more compliant/plush at speed in the gnar, so im hoping for a rumored option of a coil upgrade as well but every shop I have talked with all big spesh dealers have told me that the whole upgade thing is an internet rumor and the evo was never meant to be an upgrade kit thing, thats why they make the evo bike(their is your upgrade).

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yamaboy2000 said:
...so im hoping for a rumored option of a coil upgrade as well but every shop I have talked with all big spesh dealers have told me that the whole upgade thing is an internet rumor and the evo was never meant to be an upgrade kit thing, thats why they make the evo bike(their is your upgrade).
I wouldn't put too much stock in what the LBS tells you, they're reliably mis-informed in my experience. Even if it does turn out to be nothing more than a rumor, it just means we'll have to go to a little more trouble to make a coil work. I know of several people who are already running coils on their otherwise stock 2010 Enduros.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
I had the same feeling with mine when i first started playing around with it. I found that if i set the sag at the 33% mark with propedal aon (2) then when i get ready to do a big descent i put it on (1) then head down it tends to take care of that (with lever in off position on both setting, and yes having the knob at different levels changes the damping even when its off that is according to PUSH when i went to there suspension clinics. I also found that it almost needs rebound turned all the way down i run 3 clicks from full slow. You just have to put it back on 2 or 3 before you climb again or in granny it bobs pretty good. Just one more thing to move and adjust to get the best you can out of what you have. Give it a try and see what you think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reear Shock ????

I just got an enduro 2010 expert test bike and took it up to downieville for a two day honeymoon. angles are all great! i went very fast with alot of air on third divide. however i felt the pedals hit the ground alot due to both, low BB as well as severe bobbing under pedalling.

the rear shock doesn't inspire confidence. given i'm a rather heavy guy at 220lbs, i fill up 270PSI. but the rear shock at fast descents keeps noisy and doesn't really give a firm feeling.

coming off an ellsworth moment (still have it) i felt the shock rate was way more controlled and linear. whereas the spec' made me feel the dampening can't support the high chatter with the heavy weight.

weird to have an almost 3:1 leverage ratio on this beast....

i may end up selling the enduro and checking out a nomad if i don't get a confidence inspiring replacement for the shock...

·
I dig trails!
5,599 Posts
Hmmm, I don't feel like I have a similar issue, just feels damped at speed and in rocks. But then I have the RP2, and comments above are about the BoostValve version. Perhaps the BoostValve is the culprit and spiking?

The RP2 has been rad for me trail riding and a day at NorthStar.

Keep in mind the Enduro linkage rates were designed for an air shock spring rate which is pretty flat through the first 1/2 of compression, then ramps up. The flat initial travel is what soaks up the chatter (rocks in a trail that you just plow through at speed).

A coil spring is linear and has a higher spring rate at half compression (assuming sag is the same for both shocks) which makes for less compliance at mid travel = eating the chatter.

The linkage rates for the 10 Enduro and 06 Enduro have a similar curve, and IMHO, the small can air shock '10 handles the chatter better than the coiled '06.

P

(Also, if you have clanking, check your front shock bushing for wear)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also think that's pretty high... I'm around 215 and run about 210psi. I have the RP2 and it's PUSHED.
LOVE IT.

The bike is simply rad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2011 Enduro Clevis and Shock

It is official. We have ordered aftermarket upgrade kits that will allow you to run the same clevis and shock setup found on the 2011 Evo. ETA 3 to 4 months.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is official. We have ordered aftermarket upgrade kits that will allow you to run the same clevis and shock setup found on the 2011 Evo. ETA 3 to 4 months.
Sweet! Are these going to be available on a pre-order basis only like the evo bikes, or do you anticipate having adequate inventory? Ballpark cost?

·
Registered
45 Posts
No Back Order... Yet.

The kits will be available for purchase from your Specialized dealer in 3 to 4 months. Since they are a product that was not part of the original 2011 launch, they are not available to back order quite yet. My suggestion would be to contact your Specialized dealer and ask them to notify you when the back order or order option becomes available. They should be able to set up notification for themselves with their sales rep here at Specialized. The supply will be limited, but substantial enough to cover those wanting one as well as for warranty purposes. Still not word on cost... sorry. Your Specialized dealer will receive that information as soon as it is available...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Similar problem with my RP23. i sent mine back to fox (uk) and they told me the boost valve wasnt working. I now find the pro pedal works (it didnt before) but blows through its travel really quickly (doesnt bottom out though) spoke to fox who told me to run propedal all the time (and set sag up with propedal on) as this is adding compression, Ultimatly the shock needs a custom tune to increase compression, ive heard spesh are doing this for 2011.
on a front end note, sent the e160 back to spesh and they are now awesome, cant belive there the same fork.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
limey1664 said:
on a front end note, sent the e160 back to spesh and they are now awesome, cant belive there the same fork.
Did they charge you for it, or do it under warranty?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts