Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new to this forum, currently looking to upgrade my current ride, the two bikes im looking at are, 2010 demo 8 for $1400, or the 2012 Glory 0 for $2500, finding it hard to look past the price of the demo as iv heard good things about the demo, but im equally impressed by the Glory.

Aussie dollar BTW

Thoughts?

·
Uphill? What's that
661 Posts
I would take the Glory over the Demo. I just prefer the Maestro suspension platform over Specialized FSR. You should also consider a new Glory 2, they are listed at $3,000.00 . If you are near a dealer you might be able to talk them down to $2,500.00 .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, yeah ive heard a few people say that, just not a big fan of the specs of the demo 2, in particular the domains. Which is why im slightly leaning towards second hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont know any thing about the glory but i do know that the demo 8 is a good bike as long as you don't try to climb hills on it. Its more for racing i think.

Happy riding:)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Advantages:
Demo-
slacker head angle
probably lower bottom bracket height

Glory-
better fork (from what you just said)

Disadvantages:
Demo- Domain fork (heavy, rebound only adjustment)
135 mm rear axle

Glory-
price (you can bridge the fork advantage with that $1100 difference)

Actually, either bike is capable for downhill applications. The 2010 Demo was the most recent geo change but for that year, they used a 135mm rear spacing. For most people, that doesn't really matter. You ought to list what's on the Demo before deciding if $1400 is worth it.

The Glory is a good bike too and probably a more pedal-friendly platform. You can fix it's older geometry with an Angleset. But $2500 opens you up to much more choices in the used bike department if you really had that budget. I'd be inclined to look at other more modern bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Advantages:
Demo-
slacker head angle
probably lower bottom bracket height

Glory-
better fork (from what you just said)

Disadvantages:
Demo- Domain fork (heavy, rebound only adjustment)
135 mm rear axle

Glory-
price (you can bridge the fork advantage with that $1100 difference)

Actually, either bike is capable for downhill applications. The 2010 Demo was the most recent geo change but for that year, they used a 135mm rear spacing. For most people, that doesn't really matter. You ought to list what's on the Demo before deciding if $1400 is worth it.

The Glory is a good bike too and probably a more pedal-friendly platform. You can fix it's older geometry with an Angleset. But $2500 opens you up to much more choices in the used bike department if you really had that budget. I'd be inclined to look at other more modern bikes.
sorry i meant that i wasnt a big fan of the glory 2s domains, the glory 1 i am looking at has mazzochi 888 which i am a huge fan of, and the demo has boxxer teams, also good. my dilemma is that for $1400, the demo is that to good a price to let go, or is the newer 2012 glory worth spending that extra $1100

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Again, you ought to list what's on the Demo. BTW, the Glory 2 does come with 888 CRs (Glory 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States) so I don't know why you even referenced Domains, which made me think it was on the Demo.

Is it worth $1400 (assuming it comes with decent components on top of the Boxxer Team... which I am also assuming is the newer 35 mm thick stanchions). Again, details.

But if I had $2500, it wouldn't be either bike. FYI.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
thats strange on the australian site they come with domains, thats where my reference came from Glory 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

what would your choice of bike be?
That's a 2014 Glory. That has the revised head tube (63.5 deg) and the Domain on that bike has compression and rebound adjust, so it's practically a Boxxer Team, just heavier.

There's a million bikes in the $2000-2500 price range, including newer Demos and Aurums. Are you Down Under?

Freeride/DH Bikes - Pinkbike BuySell Search

·
Registered
203 Posts
I used to have a 2010 Demo 8, and I've tried a 2013 Glory. I'd say the Glory definitely has the better suspension platform; it pedaled better and the suspension was way more composed in the rough. The Demo did have better pop, but otherwise I liked Maestro much more. In terms of geometry, the Demo was the winner. Low, long and slack, the Demo cornered really well, felt comfortable in the steeps and had a lot of straight line speed stability. The Glory was shorter, higher and steeper which translated to a bike that was more nimble and handled really well, but was a little less confidence inspiring on the steep and/or fast stuff.

Now which bike would I get? I'd say the Glory, because you can tweak the geometry with some headset cups. You can tune your shock to negate the drawbacks of the Demo's FSR suspension, but I think it's a less than ideal scenario. Also, the 2010 Demo is a bit out of date at this point. It has a 135mm rear hub with an offset and the BB is 73mm. Not a huge deal, but a bit inconvenient if you ever want to swap parts with another bike that will most likely have the 150/83 measurements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to have a 2010 Demo 8, and I've tried a 2013 Glory. I'd say the Glory definitely has the better suspension platform; it pedaled better and the suspension was way more composed in the rough. The Demo did have better pop, but otherwise I liked Maestro much more. In terms of geometry, the Demo was the winner. Low, long and slack, the Demo cornered really well, felt comfortable in the steeps and had a lot of straight line speed stability. The Glory was shorter, higher and steeper which translated to a bike that was more nimble and handled really well, but was a little less confidence inspiring on the steep and/or fast stuff.

Now which bike would I get? I'd say the Glory, because you can tweak the geometry with some headset cups. You can tune your shock to negate the drawbacks of the Demo's FSR suspension, but I think it's a less than ideal scenario. Also, the 2010 Demo is a bit out of date at this point. It has a 135mm rear hub with an offset and the BB is 73mm. Not a huge deal, but a bit inconvenient if you ever want to swap parts with another bike that will most likely have the 150/83 measurements.
Considering the newer demos are a little pricey would you consider even say a status 2? around 2012,2013 model, bare in mind i would like to start racing later this year.

·
Uphill? What's that
661 Posts
Considering the newer demos are a little pricey would you consider even say a status 2? around 2012,2013 model, bare in mind i would like to start racing later this year.
I know a couple people who rode the status, none of them kept them for more than a year. The common complaint was that they felt twitchy..

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know a couple people who rode the status, none of them kept them for more than a year. The common complaint was that they felt twitchy..
I've never tried the Status, but I'd listen to Rob-Bob. The Status will definitely be less forgiving and stable than a true DH bike. But, if your old bike is a 2004 Kona, then the Status would still be a big upgrade.

I'd keep looking for something used. Why not take a look at some 2012ish Demo 8s? I bet you can find a complete for around 2500-3000 with nice parts.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm still riding my 2010 Demo, rebuilding it at the moment actually. I love the thing. Yea, it was built to race so it's pretty slack and low but it's great in the corners. 4 years of 20+ days at Keystone and the linkage is as solid as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
how would the norco aurum fair, in comparison with either bikes?
I think the Aurum has a very FSR-like suspension. In fact, so similar that, due to patent restrictions, they can't sell in the US. So it should ride like a Demo. The geometry is aggressive and it's a minimal looking frame so it should be light. In sum, it has better geometry than the old Glorys, but IMO, a worse suspension platform. The weight should be similar. With the Aurum vs. Demo, I'd say the Aurum has similar suspension, similar geometry, but may be a bit lighter. Of course, this is based on the 2013 and below Glory and Demo. The new Glory has more aggressive geometry and the new Demo has the second coming of Jesus, aka the Ohlins shock, so those bikes could be another story.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts