Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 Cobia?? update

So I stop by one of the LBS for a drool session over thing my "budget" won't let me buy. As I'm looking around a shiney new GF 2010 Cobia winks at me. So I strool on over to her and look her over . She has a nice chassie on her so I get bold and do the unthinkable right there in the middle of the store.........I throw my leg over her.:madman: Now I'm very intrigued, and then the shops owner comes over and we chat a little. I tell her that I might be interested in a new 29er' and she say's that the one I was just sitting on which was marked $999.00 is furthere reduced and she can give it to me for $850 :eek: The wheels start turning and I start to plan the pitch I will throw at the "budget" when I get back home and ask if they have any more in stock, this one is a 17.5 and I'm only 5.7'. It fit fine as I sat on it in the store. And I think all my years on my 26" steel hard tail have given me the ability to control this bike, but I'm unsure. What do you all think should I spring for it or wait to find another deal. Is a 17.5" 29er to big for some one my size? Oh and if you have any good pitches I could try to sell to the "budget" it would help also. She didn't buy mine

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am 5'7 and I ride the 17.5 frame. The G2 geo it feels fine. I have shorter legs and a longer torso too. The 15.5 frame I just felt I towered over the bike. As far as cost my general rule is look at the MSRP and subtract 10-20% off. I know Trek just bumped up their bike prices up to 5% I believe because of supply chain or something so probably a good time to get on it.

Someone I ride with has the 2011 Cobia and loves it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a 2010 Cobia last spring and really love it. It was an upgrade from an 05 Marlin, so my first experience on big wheels. Wanted the Xcal, but waited too long. The Cobia is the same frame as the Xcal and Paragon with lesser components.

I'm happy with it. Probably don't really notice the Rock Shox fork over the Fox because I'm a relatively new rider. The bike feels great on the trail--gives me a lot more confidence. I ride things I would've walked a few years ago. I love the bike. Hated the handlebars and got rid of them right away. I'd recommend it though. I haven't been disappointed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The outward angle bugged my wrists. Sometimes the pain would extend into my shoulders even. I broke both wrists a few times in middle school and high school, which may have nothing to do with anything. But I switched to a Monkeybar and never had the wrist pain again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the "budget" has put an end to my hopes of buying a new ride this year:nono: , so I am going to just update the current ride. I need to do this within reason(per the "budget") so any advice would be great.Here it is

Planned Build
1.)Complete drivetrain overhaul: Sram X.7 build kit(price point)

2.)New riser bar and stem (setteXLR low rise/ Edge stem Price point)

3.)New fork? any ideas here would be great, I was thinking of just getting a rock shock dart 2 for around $100, it's got to be better than the 11 yol. manitou I have now

4.)Switch out seat post and seat(Sette brand)

5.) I was kicking around the idea of stripping the paint again and maybe powder coating the frame????

Let me know what you guys think, and again any advice would be great.

p.s. plus this way in a year or two all I will really need is a new frame.;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not to be a bearer of bad news, but looking at your planned upgrades I would just put that money aside and try to save for a new bike next year. The dart is not a worthy upgrade unless your fork has seized up completely and you need a cheap alternative to get back on the trails. Why the new bar and stem? You've had this bike for so long why change the geometry now? And again, spending money on a new seatpost is not worthy of an upgrade when working with a tightly balanced budget. Powder coating the frame adds no performance upgrades, again worth it on a strict budget?

Chances are the headset, and BB won't work with a new frame in 2 years, the bearing interfaces are changing very quickly. And if you plan on going to a 29er then the cassette and crankset would probably not be an ideal ratio rendering the x7 upgrade questionable.

Again, I don't mean to bash your dreams, but I personally would put off the desire for instant gratification, continue riding the bike that has been so good to you, and save for a true upgrade of a new bike. Either way enjoy the season!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:madmax: ALRIGHT WHO TOLD MY WIFE ABOUT THIS SITE??????? LOL;)

I was thinking along the same lines in the back of my mind........or maybe it was the last 16yrs. of brain washing by the Mrs.!!!!!!!! but any how it's worth pondering about. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Actually, not a wife, but someone that has to know how to balance the love of a bike and the love of my wife. But in all seriousness, I don't know that any of the upgrades you have planned will truly increase the quality of the ride, SO just buy a new bike!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright here is the thinking behind my madness. I would like a new bar and stem so I can get a more upright, neutral riding position. The fork is fine, alittle soft. I don't think I really need to replace it. I think I would be better off just losing some lbs. from my waist and it would be great. as for the powder coating, it dosen't show in the pic but it is preatty beat up and could use it. I know I said I was on a budget, but if I could update it enough to get me through another 3-4 yrs. wouldn't that be worth it?

On another note you mentioned bb interface, do I need a special bb for this or will any 73mm bb fit it. That would suck if I did decide to get a new crankset for it and it didn't fit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you order a new crankset for the current 26er then it should come with a new BB, many cranksets now use the outboard BB as opposed to the catridge style you now have. What I was referring to is that BB30s are becoming the newest hype and I would not be surprised to see this being implemented on the GF hardtail 29ers in a year or two. I was simply saying that if you upgraded your bike now that many of those parts may not be compatible or be appropriate if you choose to upgrade to a 29er frame in a year or two.

Hearing what you say about your current fork, save the money and stay away from the dart! Unless you are experiencing any issues with the quality of ride I would leave the drive train alone as well. Wait until it breaks and then upgrade if you choose, but not worth it IMO to upgrade early.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.