Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my first DH bike and my fork just arrived. Its been a while since I owned a dual crown fork (about 10 years) and back then I didnt think about axle to crown heights or geometry in general. I just received my new 2010 Boxxer Team and looking at the Tech Manual, I should have 156mm between the top of the lower crown and the top of the stanchion. I have this from the factory but this only appears to leave 7.5" of travel. so the question, is the other .5" being sucked up by the top out spring or should I move the lower crown to compensate? TIA.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
There are two different crowns that came with your fork for different total stack heights. You need to use the appropriate upper crown for your particular set-up. All the specs and info you need are in the users manual that came with the fork. If you want/need more info, there are enginering drawings, tuning documents, tech documents, and exploded/parts diagrams all available on the sram site.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
No need to even remove the spring. Just measure 200mm up the stantion from the top of the dust wiper. That's where the wiper will be at full bottom out. Put the bottom of the lower crown a few mm above that. Assemble the headset and see if you can put the upper crown on with no spacers under it or if you need a spacer to avoid interference. Use the flatter crown if it reaches the stantions. After you assemble the rest of the bike. Measure from the top of the tire to the bottom side of the crown to be sure there is at least 200mm of clearance there.
Ride around some and decide if you want the headtube slacker. If so raise the crowns some.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Lelandjt recommended is what I ended up doing. Raised the lower crown about .25" or so and that did the trick to allow for 200mm of travel with a little extra. I have room using the flatter crown because I have shorter headtube so if I need to fine tune more I can.

Davep, my last few RS forks have come with a generic "suspension fork" manual so I am definitely familiar with the tech manuals on SRAM's site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.