Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to snag a leftover 2010 Blur LT2 w/ the SPX-XC build which has the Fox Talas w/ 110/130/150 settings.

I know that SC says b/w 140 and 160 up front. Is the Talas a waste? Or am I correct in thinking that I can run the 130mm setting for most of my local trails around here (flatter aggressive xc w/ 50/50 climb/descend)? and then for my trips out to the mountains I'll have the 150 to open up.
Will the bike be funky with the 130mm setting being used? FWIW the shop I deal with offered about $1200 off the MSRP of the bike. Just curious how I should use the TALAS.
Thanks,
TJM

·
Registered
601 Posts
You will find after a little while you will rarely or never touch the talas adjustement. The only time I drop the Talas on my nomad or Orbea is when it gets really steep and I am to lazy or tired to get low.

Get the Talas and if you end up not useing it later you can change to a float with out any real trouble.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use my TALAS on BLTc exactly as you describe TJM. I like it in the 130 setting on most of the trails I ride in BC. Only putting it in 150 for steep or challenging terrain. Don't really need the 110 travel, although I do use it on really steep climbs.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
See if the shop will swap out the TALAS for a Float? I'd argue that's a pretty fair trade from either parties perspective.

Or, just get it with the TALAS and sell on eBay for new and buy a Float.

(By the way, although I have never ridden a TALAS, so take this with a grain of uninformed salt, but the adj. travel feature seems like an added complexity and a waste of engineering . . . I have never felt the need to lower the travel on my bike.)

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
I run an older Talas RLC 100-120-140 on a BLT2. I used to knock it down for climbing, used to think it handled a little better @ 120, but after a while I got used to doing everything @ 140. I love mine; the I've ridden the newer one on a LTc or Mojo HD demo, forget which, but it's stiffer and use the travel better, so don't even hesitate. You can probably set and forget @ 150. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and probably get a float or a rev and still have 100 bucks left over.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lahrs said:
I use my TALAS on BLTc exactly as you describe TJM. I like it in the 130 setting on most of the trails I ride in BC. Only putting it in 150 for steep or challenging terrain. Don't really need the 110 travel, although I do use it on really steep climbs.
Thanks for the responses.
Do you find that when riding in 130 setting does your BB height drop to low? Do you have alot of pedal strikes or are you griding ring teeth on log stacks etc?
Thanks,
TJM

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
OO7 said:
See if the shop will swap out the TALAS for a Float? I'd argue that's a pretty fair trade from either parties perspective.

Or, just get it with the TALAS and sell on eBay for new and buy a Float.

(By the way, although I have never ridden a TALAS, so take this with a grain of uninformed salt, but the adj. travel feature seems like an added complexity and a waste of engineering . . . I have never felt the need to lower the travel on my bike.)
I will second this opinion but I have actually owned two TALAS's and now have a Lyrik 2 step on my Nomad. I had the 100/120/140mm TALAS on my BLT2 and found that I hated the BLT2 in any setting but 140mm. I thought it climbed better even up the really steep stuff in 140mm. Wide bars and a short stem can keep the front wheel down. I would rather have had low speed compression as an option than the TALAS to combat brake dive.

·
Registered
777 Posts
TJM0031 said:
I have a chance to snag a leftover 2010 Blur LT2 w/ the SPX-XC build which has the Fox Talas w/ 110/130/150 settings.

I know that SC says b/w 140 and 160 up front. Is the Talas a waste? Or am I correct in thinking that I can run the 130mm setting for most of my local trails around here (flatter aggressive xc w/ 50/50 climb/descend)? and then for my trips out to the mountains I'll have the 150 to open up.
Will the bike be funky with the 130mm setting being used? FWIW the shop I deal with offered about $1200 off the MSRP of the bike. Just curious how I should use the TALAS.
Thanks,
TJM
I have both 2010 Fox 32 TALAS, RLC, Fit, QR-15, 140mm- on my 2010 S/C BlurLT2-A and the 150mm on my 2010 S/C BlurLT2-carbon... Both forks, I just leave in the 140mm and 150mm setting... For all of my riding... I would try the different settings and see what you like... I am Very Happy with both Forks !!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
TJM, I can't say I hit my pedals too often. This could be due to the trails I ride or how I ride.

Here is the BB height in the various travel settings. All have been measured without me on the bike and fitted with Maxxis 2.1 tyres. Compare this to whatever you are riding now for an idea.

110mm - 322mm / 12.677"
130mm - 329mm / 12.953
150mm - 335mm / 13.189

SC quotes BB height being 13.8". I can only assume this was measured with larger tyres.

Everyone will give you a different opinion on this issue. My opinion is having the option of adjusting travel is a positive thing. The weight between TALAS and Float are negligible. Stiction between both are negligible (my opinion of course). What does your gut say?

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lahrs said:
TJM, I can't say I hit my pedals too often. This could be due to the trails I ride or how I ride.

Here is the BB height in the various travel settings. All have been measured without me on the bike and fitted with Maxxis 2.1 tyres. Compare this to whatever you are riding now for an idea.

110mm - 322mm / 12.677"
130mm - 329mm / 12.953
150mm - 335mm / 13.189

SC quotes BB height being 13.8". I can only assume this was measured with larger tyres.

Everyone will give you a different opinion on this issue. My opinion is having the option of adjusting travel is a positive thing. The weight between TALAS and Float are negligible. Stiction between both are negligible (my opinion of course). What does your gut say?

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the detailed measurement breakdown. That really does help in my decision and is the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Lahrs said:

110mm - 322mm / 12.677"
130mm - 329mm / 12.953
150mm - 335mm / 13.189

Hope that helps.
Does the BLT come stock with 2.3" tires? Like you said it could be the difference. I did hit my pedals often but we have tons of high rocks. I still hit the pedals on my Nomad too. The travel adjust lever on the Lyrik is too easy to catch on things. Several times now I have been riding and hit my cranks or pedals and realized the fork was in 115mm instead of 160mm. The Fox levers didn't seem to catch on anything. The Lyrik lever sticks out beyond the crown so if you brush it with your shorts and an errant tree branch it lowers the fork. I also think the if the direction of the Lyrik lever was reversed it would never be an issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the important part about the measurements I provided is BB height only changed by 6 or 7 mm when dropping the front by 20mm.

There is more to BB height than just smashing pedals. For example a lower BB means a lower centre of gravity.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Speak for yourselves- I LOVE adjustable travel forks, and it'd be hard to go back. I put a Revelation U-turn on my Blur in 2006- 100-135mm. It spends about half the time down at 100, the original height on the Blur. Great for climbing and smoother, twisty trails. For big descents, it goes to 135, and for rough trails with lots of short ups and downs it is somewhere in the middle. You need to crank on it a dozen times to go from one end or the other, which I was constantly doing, and it's hard to do while riding. The TALAS is a fantastic alternative- in fact, I put one on my Tallboy. Not much range on that fork though- 95-120. Should be 95-115-135.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.