Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Naturally Organic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been seeing a lot of Specialized Epic 29er (you could fill this in with another brand & model, but recently, the Epic 29er seems to be the buzz) vs. XXX Brand 29er. I saw a thread asking for recommendations for a 4" or less FS 29er (where I saw more info about a possible Ibis Mojo 29er). Most recommendations were the bike people had or wanted (which is to be expected). I also read through the FS 29er Shootout by MTBR (somewhat outdated IMO, as will this thread be soon).

So, I compiled a list (not comprehensive and not all-inclusive yet...feel free to add others) and would like to know your Top 5 (or 10) for FS 29er. The criteria being: if someone were to gift you a bike (free to you...not to turn around and sell, but for your riding pleasure), what bikes would be on your list?

FS 29ers
Astrix Monk, Canfield FS 29er, Cannondale Scalpel, Dean Ace 3.5, Dean Baja, Ellsworth Evolve, Erikson-Ventana, Foes B-29, Funk LaRuta, GFC by Trek HiFi, GFC by Trek RumbleFish, GFC by Trek Superfly100, Giant Anthem X, GT Marathon, GT Sensor Pro, Intense 2951, Intense Spider, Intense Tracer, Kona Hei Hei, Lenz Sport Leviathan 3", Lenz Sport Leviathan 4", Lenz Sport Lunchbox, Lenz Milk Money, Lenz Sport PBJ, Moots XZ-29, Niner Jet 9, Niner R.I.P. 9, Niner W.F.O., Norco Shinobi, Pivot Mach 429, Rocky Mountain Altitude, Salsa Big Mama, Salsa Spearfish, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Siren Symphony 3.5, Specialized Camber, Specialized Epic, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, SyCip Double Dribble, Titus Racer X, Titus Rockstar, Tomac Diplomat, Turner Sultan, Van Dessel Jersey Devil, Ventana El Capitan, Ventana El Patron, Ventana El Rey, Voodoo Canzo, Zinn Gigabike, Zinn Megabike, Zinn Terra 3.0, Zinn Terra 5.0, Zinn Terra World 3.0, Zinn Terra World 5.0...post others and they will be added.

My Top 10
1. Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
2. Santa Cruz Tallboy
3. Pivot Mach 429
4. Titus Rockstar Ti
5. Turner Sultan (DW)
6. Rocky Mountain Altitude
7. Canfield FS 29er
8. Intense Tracer
9. Ellsworth Evolve
10. Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Once Ibis (Carbon Mojo 29er), Banshee (*Claymore*) and Yeti (Anything Carbon) come out with FS 29ers, I'm sure they will be on this list...

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
Good idea...

My Top 4
1. Specialized Carbon Epic 29er 2011
2. Santa Cruz Tallboy
3. Superfly 100
4. Ibis Mojo 29er

The FS 29er carbon bikes are one step above the aluminium so I would sell any other bike in your list :cool:

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Mine...

1. Lenz Leviathan 4"
2. Siren Symphony 3.5"
3. Foes B-29
4. Titus Rockstar Ti
5. GFC by Trek Superfly100
6. Niner JET9
7. Pivot Mach 429
8. Specialized S-Works Epic
9. Erikson-Ventana
10. Intense Tracer

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
In alphabetical order:

Lenz Behemoth
Lenz Lunchbox
Lenz Milk Money
Santa Cruz Tallboy
Specialized Stumpjumper

I have no use for most of the rest of the designs out there. Deciding between the above bikes will be biased by travel and suspension preferences. They all have great geometry for me.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
i'ld go with the one I got - fillet brazed Sycip Double Dribble w/ Ventana rear. of those listed, maybe the Ibis (if there was actually one to pick).

·
Naturally Organic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
7 voters so far and the Specialized Epic 29er is on 4 lists.
3 lists: SC Tallboy, Titus Rockstar, Pivot Mach 429 & Intense Tracer
2 lists: GFC by Trek Superfly 100, Ibis Carbon Mojo 29er, Lenz Behemoth & Specialized Stumpjumper 29er
1 list: 13 others
Inter-resting...very inter-resting...
Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The ones that I own, have owned, have ridden or would like to test ride. Unranked because I haven't test ridden most.

Ellsworth Evolve
Intense Tracer
Kona Hei Hei
Lenz Sport Leviathan 4"
Mooto-XZ
Pivot Mach 429
Rocky Mountain Altitude
Salsa Big Mama
Salsa Spearfish (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7258914#post7258914)
Santa Cruz Tallboy
Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
Titus Rockstar Ti
Tomac Diplomat
Turner Sultan DW

·
Fat & Single
4,123 Posts
Ridden or would like to .

1. Pivot 429 (No surprise)
2. Turner Sultan
3. RIP 9
4. Titus Rockstar
5. SC Tallboy
6. Rocky Mountain Altitude
7. Mooto XZ
8. Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
9. WFO 9
10. Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR

·
Fat & Single
4,123 Posts
Menzo said:
Maybe a good idea to say the ones you have ridden versus the ones you expect to because after a test ride, your opinion may change drastically and its ranking too.

Maybe a good idea to read the original post !

Deuce9er said:
The criteria being: if someone were to gift you a bike (free to you...not to turn around and sell, but for your riding pleasure), what bikes would be on your list

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
No need for a list, for me. There is one bike on my list:

Intense Tracer 29.

I rode a 26" Intense for over five years and never felt the need to replace it until I rode a 29" bike.

That said, I'm not sure I could do a bike like the Tracer justice. I'm doing the same riding and more on my Banshee Paradox and therefore I'm hesitating on investing in a full suspension 29". Perhaps there is a less expensive and lighter bike that I'd be happy with. With that in mind, your posting seemed interesting.

There might be some interest in Specialized Epics and others, spurred in part by marketing but it is also meant to be a race bike. Lumping all the bikes you have listed together doesn't work. How do you compare an Niner WFO or Lenz PBJ with the likes of a Epic or Jet 9.

Perhaps a shorter list targeting a more specific riding style would be useful. I would like to know what style of riding people favor and where they ride, when posting their lists. I for one ride in the rocky North East, hence my interest in the Tracer.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Please excuse my newbiness. Is there a reason GF hifi/rumblefish is not getting any love on this board. I was looking at the stumpjumper and hifi/rumblefish and decided on the r-fish because it just seemed to fit me better. Also because the LBS was heavily discounting all Trek stuff and I was able to get a r-fish for $2000. It is on lay away right now and I can still switch to the stumpjumper if I want. I was assured by dealer that the 2010 models had improved frame design and all the breakage and stiffness problems were pretty much handled. I cant afford an intense or ellsworth; in my price range the stumpjumer and hifi/runblefish seemed like the best choices. So why no love for the fish?

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
scjohn said:
Please excuse my newbiness. Is there a reason GF hifi/rumblefish is not getting any love on this board. I was looking at the stumpjumper and hifi/rumblefish and decided on the r-fish because it just seemed to fit me better. Also because the LBS was heavily discounting all Trek stuff and I was able to get a r-fish for $2000. It is on lay away right now and I can still switch to the stumpjumper if I want. I was assured by dealer that the 2010 models had improved frame design and all the breakage and stiffness problems were pretty much handled. I cant afford an intense or ellsworth; in my price range the stumpjumer and hifi/runblefish seemed like the best choices. So why no love for the fish?
Because this thread is all about "boutique bike" dreams. Not what bikes are a good value.

Congratulations! You found a deal on a bike that you like. Ride the heck out of it, and don't worry about whether you're on an "approved by the 29er board" bike.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts