Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea why the 2010 model year Fox's are being blown out right now? Is there a dramatic change to the F29 for the next model year? Isn't it way to early for a 2011 fork?

Anyone have direct comparison for a 2010 F29 15qr, with the 2010 Reba Team 20mm? Looking at ideas for a Turner DW Sultan, still thinking about the modified Fox 36, but it might be too much fork for this bike.

Ryan.

· Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
scottryana said:
Fox 36, but it might be too much fork for this bike.
I would not base your Fox mod decision on your bike, as I think it would be great on a Sultan. I would base it on your size (clyde or not) and your riding style. If you are a impish xc geek, DON'T mod a Fox. If you are a Clyde that likes the chunk, go with a mod.
From whay I have read, I doubt there will be a Fox 36 29er next year. (sure enuff that I am planning on modding another 36)
BTW I have ridden the new Marzocchi 44 29er it is pretty sweet for the $$.

· Registered
918 Posts
For 2011, Fox is switching to a 20mm TA on all 32 forks, and will also offer a 36 TALAS 29er fork, but only with a tapered steerer, which unfortunately can't be used on a Sultan.

I went with the $235 Drake on my DW Sultan, but I'm also planning on trying my Van 36 RC2. The Marz 44 is also worth considering, but won't work with my 20mm-only front hub.

· Registered
918 Posts
D3DO said:
we will find out soon enuff- I am planning on trying a 2.4 Ardent first...
I should have those tires soon, as well. I'd be interested to know what you end up with for the distance from the axle to the inside of the arch, or remaining arch height, and whether it seems to be an adequate amount of clearance for wet conditions.

· Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
fallzboater said:
and whether it seems to be an adequate amount of clearance for wet conditions.
Depending on your Terra Firma- wet and sticky is going to be no good. Though I know one other modded Fox rider in TX has had his through mud w/o problem (with Kenda nevs me thinks). I am lucky and live in SoCal and mud is almost non-existant.

· Registered
539 Posts
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=539544
Applicable. Fox really hasn't supported the 29er movement the way Rockshox has imho.
No travel adjust, etc.....yet. No 20mm or longer travel....etc.
I have had both fork brands have (at least a couple of each) have issues over time.
I really like a 2 year warranty on a fork that I can generally find at least 100 bucks cheaper for the same approx range of performance, with better feature support over the years.
Also, the u-turn Reba 29 with all the options 90-120mm 20mm travel adjust was a shade over 4 pounds.

· Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
sngltrkr said:
I seem to recall Reba having a big weight adavantage. Something like 3.85 for Reba Team vs. 4.7 for comparable Fox.
Advertised weights for the 120mm travel forks for both are within 25-50 grams of one another with the Fox listing a lighter weight.

· Banned
2,799 Posts
fallzboater said:
, and will also offer a 36 TALAS 29er fork, but only with a tapered steerer, which unfortunately can't be used on a Sultan.

WHAT? AAHH NOT.....Where did you hear or get this tid bit of info? (bad info mind you) I just spoke with a PRETTY DAM GOOD SOURSE the other day and Fox is still quite a few yrs. away from LT/36st. 29er forks...No disrespect FB as I know your not like most meatballs around here but I think you'er wrong on this one ( I'd love it if your not wrong trust me..)....As for the Turner not doing a tapered steerer on the Sultan in 2011 BIG MISTAKE (IMHO).....I think this would be killer on the Sultan..My guess is DT will just about be the ONLY one not going with the TS.....Anyway....CF.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.