Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running 200mm 888's on a BigHit frameset ?

I'm considering upgrading from the 170mm Junior T's but I've heard that the 200mm forks through out the geometry and feel of the bike ?

Quillo

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't answer your question directly but I can tell ya that if you're interested in maintaining the same steering speed/feel you should check out what the axle-to-crown height for the Junior T is, and then find something with longer travel but the same or close figure. I've read that the Boxxers are pretty good in that respect (i.e. 8" of travel with the same height as Marz) and that you could also look into a lower profile triple crown assembly (aftermarket) to lower the fork a bit.

·
Banned
82 Posts
i think that it would be fine i have a hardrock and i went from an 80mm rst fork to a 155mm marzoocchi drop-off and it barley affects the steering as people say that it would so i think that u would be fine.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My 8" 888 is almost the exact axle to crown height as the 03 Super T on my wifes 05 Big Hit. I think an 8" 888 on the Big Hit would be awesome but to keep a nice FR bike feeling you will need the low rider crowns from Go-Ride, Zoke, or Risse.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I know that way back when I had a hardtail with *gasp* a stiff fork in 95 the addition of a Rock Shox, with a whopping 45mm of travel (wow!) was supposed to throw the steering out of whack. But to be honest it really didn't, even though the a2c height changed by an inch or two. If you cared enough, you could calculate what the new effective head angle would be, and seat, and bb height, but honestly if it's not a gigantic change I can't see it being that big of a difference. Plus, if I understand cockpit dynamics correctly, you can correct the steering speed a bit by switching to a shorter stem.

Or yeah, the Go-ride crowns aren't too terribly expensive (well, ok maybe) but if it really bugged you you can get that inch back that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.