Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it work? I am looking at it as my race bike. I already ride a Rush for all trail dutys and have been racing it up until now that I decided I want a dedicated race bike. Here are my specs: weigh 200lb, race is florida and ride pretty smooth when I want to(when I dont i take out the heckler and give a good beating). I plan on training on this bike as well as the rush but am a little scared of the flexing stays. Anyone out there ride a scalpel and carry around the weight I do? please share your stories. thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Should be no problem at 200 pounds. The Scalpel is a well proven design. I think the only limitation would be that of the rear shock, which seems to have weight tables that go up to 260 pounds. Remember that the 260 pounds includes whatever junk you are carrying too. Most people carry 4-5 pounds of water and a pound or so of tools/tubes.

If it breaks, Cannondale has a no fuss lifetime warranty to the original owner.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
jgarcia0816 said:
Thanks buddy...:thumbsup:
are you a professional football player, lumberjack or seven feet tall?

if not then perhaps it might be wise to push the dinner plate away a few times a week ride your bike twice as much as you do now and get down to a reasonable weight.

you'll be amazed in the fitness gains you'll make and how much more fun it is to ride your bike when your not dragging 20 to 30 extra pounds around.

sorry i know this is not what you wanna hear but your not gonna get the performance outta your scalpel with your beer gut resting on the top tube.

·
Registered
137 Posts
go for it

scalpel will do just fine. a little flexier than a rush or heckler but a whole lot faster. im about 195 - 200 with gear and ride an 08 with the aluminum frame. i love the bike, and the carbon will be even stiffer.

HAL 9000 said:
sorry i know this is not what you wanna hear but your not gonna get the performance outta your scalpel with your beer gut resting on the top tube.
not everyone that weighs 200 lbs has a beer gut - im an absolute twig

·
Registered
826 Posts
myself369 said:
not everyone that weighs 200 lbs has a beer gut - im an absolute twig
I'm 225. I'm tall. I'm the same weight and height I was when I played in the 1992 Olympics(US Men's Volleyball). Up until two years ago I did a bunch of those stupid beer commercials where people in the background are playing on a beach, waterskiing or whatever. Even a Juicy Fruit commercial. That's me. Same weight today as then.

Cannondale probably has a Ten Most Wanted Poster of consumers with the most cracked frames on a wall in their factory. I'd guess I'm on that wanted poster! They always take good care of me and I've probably bought $10,000 worth of bikes from them in the past decade. Good company. Good people.

Crankbrothers "Pedal Spa" even makes jokes about the number of eggbeaters I break.

·
Registered
124 Posts
the Scalpel is a "race grade" XC bike.

2 things:
1. Don't buy one unless you REALLY want to have a "race" oriented full suspension XC bike
2. If you do, get one of the older, shorter travel Scalpels instead of the newer ones. Anyone who has seen the seatstay joints on the new ones will understand, plus the fact that a 4" travel bike WITHOUT a BB pivot is just a bad idea.

·
Registered
137 Posts
beavola said:
the Scalpel is a "race grade" XC bike.

2 things:
1. Don't buy one unless you REALLY want to have a "race" oriented full suspension XC bike
2. If you do, get one of the older, shorter travel Scalpels instead of the newer ones. Anyone who has seen the seatstay joints on the new ones will understand, plus the fact that a 4" travel bike WITHOUT a BB pivot is just a bad idea.
just out of curiosity, have you ever ridden or owned a new scalpel?

and yes, the scalpel is a xc race bike, but the new scalpel 100 is much more versatile than the older model. And, if anything, i would say the new frame is stronger - the old model was a noodle. Besides, i can guarantee that cannondale went through mass amounts of testing with this bike - if there was any problem with the carbon stays they wouldn't have put the bike into production

·
Registered
124 Posts
myself369 said:
just out of curiosity, have you ever ridden or owned a new scalpel?
Ridden dozens. I have built many of them. Owned one? Never - and never would as I have no need for an XC race bike.

myself369 said:
Besides, i can guarantee that cannondale went through mass amounts of testing with this bike - if there was any problem with the carbon stays they wouldn't have put the bike into production
I'm merely commenting on what I've seen as a result of buiding these bikes. The "angled joint" of the carbon seatstay seems like a very bad idea. SHOULD there be a faliure of the joint, then a sharpened seatstay would penetrate the riders leg. I'm no expert on carbon technology, but a 4" travel pivotless design doesn't sound good for a long-term use bike. It may be fine for a season or 2 of hard riding.

Again - the views I express here are my own.

·
Registered
287 Posts
HAL 9000 said:

if not then perhaps it might be wise to push the dinner plate away a few times a week ride your bike twice as much as you do now and get down to a reasonable weight.

you'll be amazed in the fitness gains you'll make and how much more fun it is to ride your bike when your not dragging 20 to 30 extra pounds around.

I have a 230 lb 6'8" Lumberjack friend who races a Scalpel and trail rides a Prophet on the East Coast. Very fit and eats healthier than I do. Both bikes hold up great, runs Crossmaxes on both.

While in this case he isn't the OP, he could be, and either way you don't know him. I highly doubt you'd be telling him to "push the dinner plate away a few times a week ride your bike twice as much as you do now and get down to a reasonable weight." or "not gonna get the performance outta your scalpel with your beer gut resting on the top tube." to his face, so maybe you shouldn't do it online.

·
Registered
130 Posts
HAL 9000 said:

Rahter a dick comment there dont you think? :skep:

We are all here to enjoy riding (well at least thats why im here), if im mistaken I will leave. Im 187lbs right now but 8 years ago I was 330, cycling is a large part of what helped me cut weight and have fun at the same time. Comments like that are uncalled for. Hes not asking if he should be riding delicate bike and saying hes 500lbs+. 200lbs is a reasonable level weight for various riders and and I think it was a legimiate question he was asking.

If he has the money so be it, if he wants to rest his beer belly on the bike and ride it, isnt that what this sport is about? I would rather see someone out on a nice bike using it in any capacity than a bike that sits around by a fit person. Im not a world class rider nor ever plan to be, so does that mean I should ride a Roadmaster or a Next, better idea why dont I just sit around and eat more? :nono:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Sghost said:
While in this case he isn't the OP, he could be, and either way you don't know him. I highly doubt you'd be telling him to "push the dinner plate away a few times a week ride your bike twice as much as you do now and get down to a reasonable weight." or "not gonna get the performance outta your scalpel with your beer gut resting on the top tube." to his face, so maybe you shouldn't do it online.
The guy ASKED for an OPINION on an internet FORUM and he got one.

I'd tell him the same thing if he asked me face to face no hiding behind a keyboard or internet bravado here my friend, sorry the TRUTH hurts sometimes deal with it...

doing well in "competitive" cycling is a WEIGHT to POWER ratio although Magnus Bäckstedt is a phenomenal cyclist at 6'4" and 200+ lbs he isn't going to be winning and grand tours anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Cannondale is far from an entry level company and certainly is not going to produce frames that they will have to repeatedly replaced.
The newer Scalpels with the flexing chainstays have held up well around here,local shop has sold 12 and no issue's reported.

Now...regarding weight,
common sense will tell you that all things being equal a 200 lb rider will wear the many parts of a bike quicker then a 150lb rider will and can wear a smaller rider out if provoked.:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
beavola said:
Again - the views I express here are my own.
after rereading my comment, i think i came off a little dickish - my bad

and HAL9000 there's no need for a rude opinion, the OP is looking for a helpful response, not dieting tips

and again, not everyone that weighs 200 lbs is overweight - some people have such a build that being under 200 lbs is completely unhealthy - sometimes that extra weight is a benefit, backstedt like you mentioned puts out monstrous amounts of power and would likely find it very difficult, hell impossible to reach the 125 lb race weight that some of the other racers are at

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Don't worry about the weight unless its fat that weighs you down, its the amount of watts that you want and are able to produce if your a racer. I race with a guy who was 45lbs lighter than me. He could barely turn 250watts and would smoke me all the time, even though 250 harldy puts me into a sweat. Now that I've narrowed the gap by loosing 20lbs (more running and staying away from body building type exercises), guess whose gonnas smoke who this time around? At 42 my Lactate threshold when I weighed 195 was measured at 383, not bad for an older fart.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
This is my last post on this thread since 90% of you don't get "It" and get offended for telling the truth.

The corner stone (or major limiter for some) to all endurance cycling is threshold. When you raise threshold you effectively raise your VO2 and Anaerobic Threshold. It also means you dip into these 'all out' zones less throughout a race/ride.

That's not to say VO2 and Anaerobic stuff isn't necessary. Your foundation though should be considered threshold and how long you can stay there and how hard you can go (once you are relatively fit).

If you can go 60 minutes at 350 watts 1 month and then 2 months down the road you can go 375 watts for 60 minutes, it means you can also trim back to 350 watts and now ride right there for 90 maybe even 120 minutes or longer.

That's why periodization is structured the way it is. First the long efforts and then to the short hard efforts. You first raise all those effective zones by increasing your hour power and then work on either raising those top end zones or more important work on recovering from them when you dip into them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.