Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This wheel set will be for my single speed 29er. I currently run the Arches on my geared bike and have not had any issues. I want to try and build this bike up fairly light weight. This bike will also be full rigid. Can I get away with running the lighter 355 rim or will I end up with issues and should just stay with the Arches.

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
I have...

both right now. I have the arch laced up for my FS 29er and 355 on my singlespeed. I built both sets myself with King ISO hubs and comp spokes and brass nipples. I am about 225 lbs. I have had good luck with my 355's and they have held up well. They will be 2 years old with ~ 2,000 miles on them in August. I have thrown them in the stand maybe twice only for minor truing adjustments. I live in Arizona so rocky trails are fairly common.

That being said, when it is time to replace the rims on my SS I will use the Arches. I have noticed they are definately stiffer (everything else in the build being equal, same hub,spoke and nipples). I believe they can handle a little more abuse. Not that much more wieght for the added benefit.

My $.02. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.