Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Has anyone gone from one to the other, any preferences, reasons why??

Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes i did, my sl came with the dt, i sold and bought the 09 rp23 from mojo suspension in uk. The dt squeaked when it compressed, bobbed a lot, im a 200lb rider, quite gravity oriented and i was also skeptical over its reliability.

With the great reviews of the rp i took a gamble and much prefer it. I like the adjustability, its more reliable and suits my riding style more than the dt. Im not concerned with the weight increase or lack of lock out as i just flip to pro-pedal on the long steeps which works better as it provides zero bob but also bump compliance.

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
Ibis is recommending the RP23

When I went to buy my SL, the shop asked Ibis which shock they would recommend, regardless of price. The reason given for the RP23 was the greater range of adjustability. I haven't ridden the DT, so YMMV. Since lockout wasn't a consideration for me, I ended up going with the RP23 recommendation and I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've been quite happy with fox RPL. Compared to RP23 (I have one of those also my bike came with), has everything RP23 has and more...a lockout. (I use it for my style of riding.)
After further review it seems imho, DT XR carbon failure rate or issues are quite high.
(You will here definitely by some users that there is no need for lockout on Mojo, usually when you hear something SO said, the user does not know what they are talking about and can't feel the difference in power output with different suspension setups.
But it is correct, there is no "need" for a lockout. But even some of the guys at Ibis hq have used them on their Mojs. That is where I got the idea to run the RPL.
It is a purely subjective matter such as when using one your seat sits a bit higher and might feel you get more leg extension for the longer smooth out of the saddle climbs.
For pure power, long riding guys they might really "like" a lockout.
That said, most of those people go for shorter travel race bikes as they are fitter and don't need all the extra suspension. But if you want a bike that can act like a short travel wonder bike but with the flick of a knob act like an all mountain bike with gobs of travel a lockout is very desirable and you should try the RPL. Also, push can tune the RP23 in this way and then the max propedal setting with rebound turned way down is very close to lockout with lots of blowoff threshold.

·
Raupe Nimmersatt
63 Posts
I initially had the DT mounted on my other ride and on that chassis it wasn´t very good. Although it´s a carbon marathon fully I still preferred the RP23. The performance is simply better.
On the Mojo I also had the opportunity to test both - here it was a lot smoother with the DT but still the RP23 was the better shock in my eyes. For people who like to have a lockout on their bikes and who really care about those 40gr less, the DT might still be a good option, but I had no hard time choosing the RP23 again. In the 2009 design it looks even better on the Mojo (SL). I´m still putting together my SL and I really can´t wait to finally ride it (with the RP23).

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The reason you go for the DT is if weight is everything. For all others the Fox is better.

Better adjustability
More Options.... custom tune/Push etc
Easier to find and access servicing
Proven reliability
Absolutely no need for lockout on the Ibis

Answer your question?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.