Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any personal - or any experience with this bike at all? Looking for a high performance non-carbon XC hardtail. Considering the 8500 against the Scott Scale 40...

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Weiner Dog Connoiseur
1,013 Posts
I just bought the 6500, which IIRC is the same frame as the 8500, just not as spec'd out. I think the 6500 is great. It handles very well being able to almost turn on a dime. I found that I could lean the bike over farther than any previous MTB I've owned in a turn. It is very forgiving when the rear wheel begins to drift... as forgiving as my '05 Fuel is in that department, without the benefit of rear suspension

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
The frame of the 6 series is not the same as the 8 series. Different aluminium alloy, differently shaped tubes, etc. But the geometry is close if not the same.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ride an '08 8500 and love the frame. It was a warranty replacement after I cracked 4 Fisher Ziggurats. It's an xc oriented machine with tight handling and a stiff ride and so far is holding up o the abuse beautifully. It's uber-fast on single track and great for XC style rides of 2-3 hrs. I've done a couple of mini-endurance events of 6-8 hrs and the stiffness becomes a liability after awhile, but this could probably be mitigated by changing positions with riser bars, shorter stem etc... If the '09 comes with the Fox F100 thats a huge bonus. In my opinion its the best fork on the market as its reliable and highly adjustable. The paint does chip fairly easily, but mountain bikes aren't made to be pretty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah.... 6 series frames are MUCH heavier than 8 series frames... we had an 08 8000 in the shop that scaled 24 even (19.5) .... the 8500 would probably be at least a pound lighter. (if not more) .... I agree with all of submerged's comments.... very tight handling bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.