Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 09 Talas 36R makes a "gulping" type suction noise when it returns back to the top of it's stroke after a big hit. I know that is a strange explanation, I really don't know how to explain it better. I invision air or fluid being sucked through some inner orifice in the fork. It seems to work fine other than he noise. The travel adjustment does not appear to have any effect on it . It does it at 100/130, and the 160 setting. The bike has only been out twice, it was about 50 degrees both times, was thinking that could possibly be a factor.
Any thoughts or information would be helpful.
Thanks.

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
Most likely it's normal. Oil does flow through orifices in the fork. That's what gives you compression and rebound damping. By your description, it looks like you have lots of rebound compression. Try to decrease the rebound compression (knob towards the rabitt) and the noise should be gone. But of course, tune the rebound damping to your liking and ignore the noise.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am about 1/2 way, I'll see if I can tune it out. If so then that would be great, as you said then I could put it where I want it. It would just be nice to know the source.
Thanks! YZF571

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't have this problem on my 08 Talas 36R but I did have the same problem with a 07 Reba Team and it was down to how the compression/rebound was set. I adjusted the compression/rebound settings and it went away.
Just out of interest the rebound settings I use on my Talas are 2 full turns from closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.