Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 Helmets in one year
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Superfly handled better than any bike I had ever owned and flew over just about anything. I now have 7 hours of seat time on my 2009 Superfly and let me tell you my friends, it handles way better than the 2008. I'm thinking that the Bottom Bracket Drop is lower making for a lower center of gravity. My reason for this thought is not only because the bike handles so much better than my 08, but my pedals seam to hit more stuff on the ground.

My 09 is setup just like my 08 except for a slightly wider handlebar, like 40mm. I hardly think that this would make such a drmatic difference like the one I have noticed.And no. the crank arms are still 175mm like my o8 Fly

So what do you think folks? Has anybody noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The bottom bracket is not lower. Go look at the geometry specs on GF's website and you'll see that they both have a bb height of 312 mm. Hell, just compare the pictures and you'll see that it's the same. It's the same frame and mostly the same components. The tires are different.....maybe that's what you're feeling?

·
*Contents Under Pressure
352 Posts
40 mm on the bars makes a world of difference. Now you have your hands 40mm further from the fulcrum (headset) of a lever (the bars). Riding does have a mental aspect as well. So maybe since you thought the BB was lower, you realized the pedals hitting something every time they did.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Scared of Bridges said:
My 09 is setup just like my 08 except for a slightly wider handlebar, like 40mm. I hardly think that this would make such a drmatic difference like the one I have noticed
40mm = 1.57" Not huge, but certainly enough to make a difference IMO

I normally ride with a 28" bar but for kicks this summer I tried a ride with an old bar I had sitting in the closet that was 4" narrower. It did not even feel like the same bike anymore. The quickness of the steering and the difference in technique needed to control the bike were an order of magnitude different. I know this 4" change is more than your bar change, but i think much of the handling difference are feeling is easily related to this change

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.