Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question:

any one knows if it is possible to retro fit old pop lock (that belong to mine 06 Reba) on a 2009 Sid Race fork without pop lock version?

there are 3 reasons for my question:
a. i can buy a very cheap 2009 SID Race from a store that does not have the poplock version
b. save $70 for the pop lock
c. i have not seen the new 2009 SID fork anywhere (i am sure new SID is not available where i live)

Many thanks for any advise

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Are you talking about fitting just the poplock or actually fitting a poplock compatible damper?

IF you want to fit just a poplock because the fork doesnt come with one yeah that will work fine.

IF you are talking about putting a poplock compatible damper in your SID that doesnt have poplock it wont work as the new sid uses shorter dampers than the old stuff so it will be too long.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi mate

Without buying a Poplock compatible damper im afraid it won't work.

The Sid Race you linked without poplock has a crown mounted adjuster.

THe SID team with the poplock you linked has a poplock damper meaning it has a different cap (to accept the cable) and a spring inside for the cable.

So bad news im afraid..... Your only hope would be RS might sell the poplock top cap and you might be able to hook up a spring but ive not seen the new dampers yet so im not sure if that would work.

You could buy the SID with poplock and sell your oldone.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
top caps are available from most distros. ive done the conversion on some toras before,but i also had to replace the internal motion control cuz for the remote lever you need one with a return spring and the one that comes on it has no spring inside. i used to ride a reba race poplock, and now i have the 09 sid team, and you dont need any H/bar remote, just set and forget. blackbox MC is super good. hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.