Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I positively hate handlebar clutter, and will not play with a remote lockout lever during a race.
Beside the 70g weight saving, I only want the lockout on asphalt climbs or very long, very smooth fireroad ascents, so switching time will not be so critical.

I think that the 95% of the SID sales are for the Pushlock version, any feedback on the crown-mounted lockout lever?
Is the lever easy to operate? Do you lose any of the motion control adjustment, i.e. gate treshold, etc?

Thanks
fab

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's easy to operate it while driving, you don't loose any of the adjustments and it simply looks better... and as you know, it's lighter. ;)

btw, my Sid Team (pictured) turned out 1470g with uncut steerer tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great news, thanks.
Without the remote lockout, the weight is borderline acceptable for a true WW fork, but on the other hand the SID should be stiffer, better damped and more reliable than the R7 MRD.
fab

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
My experience so far on the Team fork, even compared to the Marz Corsa WC it replaced, is that the fork tracks so well and has such well behaved damping that you will be faster because you won't waste a lot of energy trying to keep the bike pointed where you want it to go, or fighting the front wheel.

·
fella
272 Posts
Ausable said:
I positively hate handlebar clutter, and will not play with a remote lockout lever during a race.
Beside the 70g weight saving, I only want the lockout on asphalt climbs or very long, very smooth fireroad ascents, so switching time will not be so critical.

I think that the 95% of the SID sales are for the Pushlock version, any feedback on the crown-mounted lockout lever?
Is the lever easy to operate? Do you lose any of the motion control adjustment, i.e. gate treshold, etc?

Thanks
fab
Handlebar lockout lever is there not exactly to ease turning the lockout on, but rather to be able to turn it off when you have forgot to do it at the top of the climb and are descending through some nasty rocks/roots. Crown-mounted lever is useless in this case.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that the remote could (not for me anyway) be useful for rough and fast paced XC courses, but the SID will be used on my endurance bike.
Marathon races in my area are typically made up by two or three big climbs and a few long descents. The lockout woud only be used on the easiest sections, usually close to the start line. By mid course, I am usually too tired to pedal out of the saddle :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I installed the handlebar mounted lockout when I built my bike with a SID Team, but after a few rides, I never used it, it cluttered up the bar and it looked like it was likely to break and I took it off. Never missed it. Unless you are a big uphill masher, I don't think you will either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
rockyuphill said:
My experience so far on the Team fork, even compared to the Marz Corsa WC it replaced, is that the fork tracks so well and has such well behaved damping that you will be faster because you won't waste a lot of energy trying to keep the bike pointed where you want it to go, or fighting the front wheel.
Completely true. :)

I knew that Sid Team will be a great fork, but I thought that it won't be as good as my ex Fox F100RL... and luckily I was totally wrong. It is just as stiff, plush (if not even plusher) and (for now) trouble free. :yesnod: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweeney, I guess that if you remove the Pushlock and related cable, then you will not be able to lock the fork anymore?
At least this was true for the older SIDs which used different cartidges for the remote lockout and crown lockout versions - please confirm
fab

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's correct. I never lock out the fork. I do 99% of my climbing seated and I don't mash the pedals. The only time I felt a need to lock the fork was when the bike was new and the seat slipped down and I rode home on the road standing. I could feel the bike bouncing and could have used the lockout. But I don't ride standing on the roads usually, I don't even ridethis bike on the roads at all. I come from a road/triathlon backround and I feel that I have good pedalling form so the bike doesn't bounce under me, so I don't think I need the lock out at all.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Most seem to be shipped as 100mm forks with the all travel 20mm spacers to convert them to 80mm. I've bought two now and they both were originally 100mm The 80mm can be converted to 100mm by taking the 20mm spacer out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the information rockyuphill - that makes sense, its what ive been seeing.

On the actual rockshock/SRAM site theyre listed as 80mm without any mention of travel adjustment oddly.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The travel adjust is also a significant advantage over the R7s which come in two separate models for the 80 or 100 mm stroke-
My bike is designed for an 80mm fork but I'd like to test a 100mm - and if I cannot decide between the two, then I can easily machine a 10mm spacer to get a 90mm custom SID :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
iscarrr said:
While on the top of the new SID's - are they all 80mm but can be increased to 100mm? I havent seen to be able to find anything that actually says that in writing.
My SID team w/ pop-lock came as 80mm only. You couldn't order the 100mm version through my shop. Talking to SRAM directly, they confirmed that 80s and 100s "versions" are identical. Simply a spacer adjustment. I did it myself, but it requires about 1/2 a mechanical brain. Not the most difficult task, but certainly not for all.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.