Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interested in purchasing one of these as I've been craving something lighter and faster than my Kona.

Upon reading some reviews I came across one that said 'some parts of the frame are so thin that they can be squeezed and bent in with your fingers alone'. This sounded a little disheartening. Perhaps I'm sheltered from the world of light bikes but this seemed a little wrong.

EDIT: Then again this was for a 2008 scale 40 not a 2009... has the frame changed?

Any opinions on this frame and/or the bike as a whole? Thanks!

EDIT: Other bikes I'm interested in looking at are;

Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp
Rocky Mountain Vertex 50
Giant XTC Alliance
Trek 8000 (or 8500 perhaps)

Thanks!

·
WTF
292 Posts
I have a friend who ride a ~23-24lb Scale, with a 80mm fork. I rode it a little, it is def a fast bike, but I cant say how comfortable a bike it is since I only ride a full sus. now, I say go for it, it only gets solid reviews and honestly it is probably going to be my race bike next season. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
spartan034 said:
I have a friend who ride a ~23-24lb Scale, with a 80mm fork. I rode it a little, it is def a fast bike, but I cant say how comfortable a bike it is since I only ride a full sus. now, I say go for it, it only gets solid reviews and honestly it is probably going to be my race bike next season. :thumbsup:
And about the wafer-thin frame? Any comments on that? lol

EDIT: Just realized the review was for a 2008 scale 40 but has the frame changed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Scott Scale and love it. Yep it is a fast bike and I think the handling is great. Climbs great too. Once I got the fit dialed in I thought it was very comfortable. The frame hasn't changed in a few years. Also, it is a beautiful frame. The front triangle is hydroformed and to me looks like a work of art. I am always proud when I pull that bike out at a race. Nobody else around me has one.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Carbon frames all have some give in them, and yes you can press them with your fingers and they will flex some without distroting the tube. However the Scale 40 is aluminum and it would be highly unusal as well as very dangerous to have an aluminum frame that would bend with pressure from your fingers. I would guess either the reviewer has a carbon framed Scale, or has no idea what they are talking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts