Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I hope you like my new bike. I was inspired by all the great posts on this forum to make my bike light. Here are some of the specs:

frame-09 scalpel XL team replica
fork-09 lefty speed carbon
cranks-SI with ceramic bearings and 2 by 9 set up
wheels-09 Mavic Crossmax
tires-Continental Race King 2.0
rear derailleur-Sram X0
front derailleur-Campi Record
cassette-Shimano XTR
chain-Shimano XTR
shifters-Sram X0 twist
brakes-Avid Ultimate
seatpost-KCNC Ti Pro
seat-Selle Italia Carbonio
pedals-Crank Brothers 4ti

weight is 9.51 kg (20.96lbs)
does the weight seem high? I expected lighter. How could I get the weight under 20 lbs?

Attachments

·
Cyclist of Borg
234 Posts
I only read this because i ride Cannondale, I am not a weenie and all i know about weight loss comes from these forums

Get a carbon seatpost collar
get as many ti bolts as possible
i forget the brand but there is a chain that is 24gr or so lighter than the XTR
what is the weight diff. between the XO and the XTR shadow?
you can also get nylon waterbottle cage bolts
get lighter jockey wheels
take the cdale badge off the stem

if you do all that i am sure you will get under 20lbs

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
just under 21 is good, real good in my books for XL frame. if you really want to get fussy, shorten the cables and housing.

the most significant place to shed weight on that bike is the wheels - if you are willing to change to notubes race. but it is a fine build already.

are you using tubes or do you have sealant in the tires or tubes?

BTW - how do you like those tires? everyone seems to love the 2.2, but not the 2.0...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Nice bike - couple of things could be easily changed on that.

Im not having a dig or anything but is the Scapel an amazingly stiff frame or something ? From what i know there not particuarly light are they ?

·
Banned
822 Posts
Tiffster said:
Nice bike - couple of things could be easily changed on that.

Im not having a dig or anything but is the Scapel an amazingly stiff frame or something ? From what i know there not particuarly light are they ?
I'd be willing to wager that the Scalpel frameset, Si cranks, and Lefty fork are the lightest/stiffest stock combination on the market today.

·
Registered
620 Posts
stem? syntace f99 w/ti bolts
rotors? Scrub components (expensive but much lighter), or ashima/alligator rotors to save cash and a bit of weight.
Sell the mavic wheelset and buy a new/used stans ztr wheelset. This will do the most savings.
Cabling? I-Links with powercordz
seatpost clamp? Omniracer clamp 9g

·
MTB Ninja
41 Posts
Before you spend that money do you have any way to verify the calibration of the scale? I dont mean zeroing out the scale before weighing something but hanging something of known precise weight from it to validate the reading?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I see lots of room to shave...well that is if money was not a problem!
KMC ti-nitride chain-mine weighs 254g
Get a carbon DT-Swiss shock to save about 100g
Maybe while you are looking through the DT catalogue get the 1250g carbon wheelset.
Check into a lighter bar, ESI racers edge foam grips, get rid of the XO and get a med cage XTR
Clavicula cranks from the UK
ti bolts everywhere, except bottle cage-those can be aluminum
Formula R1's are suppose to be lighter than the Avids
Just when you think you've got it really light and nothing can slow you down an old fart blows by you on a '99 28lb FSR!!!
Have fun.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
epicracer5 said:
I dont wanna go crazy with shaving weight, but it sounds like new chain, cassette, rotors could bring the weight under 20 lbs, but these are all parts which wear so replacing them now would be wasteful.
i don't think you will save 400 grams with a chain, cassette and rotors... maybe 200 grams. if you really want it to be under 20 lbs for some photos, put on some furious freds with half cup of sealant in each as well and you will be under 20 lbs.

eliflaps bike is pretty tuned and is turning into a show bike, don't use his bike as a target unless you have lots of extra cash to spend don't want to ride it much.

21 is GREAT for a XL FS bike - just enjoy it.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
epicracer5 said:
I dont wanna go crazy with shaving weight, but it sounds like new chain, cassette, rotors could bring the weight under 20 lbs, but these are all parts which wear so replacing them now would be wasteful.
That 0.96 pounds is 436gms. You might shave 150gms off with those items, but you will have to get fairly tweaky to drop 436gms.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Nice bike!:thumbsup:

if you want to go lighter than 20 lbs you need to find a lighter wheelset. Mavic factory wheels aren't that light. You are going to need to go custom configured.

Since you have a lefty fork the easiest way is probably to get the Notubes ZTR Race wheelset with a left hub for the front hub. That would drop like 3/4 of a pound off your bike right there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.