Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New to the forums and this is my first post. I just picked up a 2009 Rockhopper Expert from a local dealer (got lucky, last 09 they had and it was my size....15". I'm short ;) )

I am new to biking. Last time I owned a bike, I was 11 (it was stolen from me by some punks and I never bought one again). I'm 27 now and decided I needed to make a change in my lifestyle and get fit and active again.

I doubt I will be doing anything too technical with my bike, but trail riding looks fun and sure beats doing nothing all summer.

Since I am a newb, I will be reading these forums a lot, but for now, is there anything I should know about my bike in general?

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
get eggbeater pedals, convert to ghetto tubeless with some real tires (fast trak LK knobs are next to non-existent), remove reflectors and pie-plate to avert smirky-looks on the trail
if you haven't already, helmet, gloves, bike-specific shorts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the shorts, helmet, gloves, and water bottle holder.

I'll probably get new tires when I really start riding in the next couple months.

But now the questions. What are egg beater pedals? And what is a pie-plate? And I do plan on using the bike around the neighborhood to get a little exercise in, should I still remove the reflectors?

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
eggbeaters:

THE choice for XC riding. They are the easiest to unclip and retain very well. The pie plate is the plastic disc nestled by your cassette. Obviously you will need a pair of shoes, but usable pairs can be had for as little as $40.

If you are biking in the neighborhood in the day, you don't need reflectors. If you are biking at night, you NEED lights, and lights make reflectors useless. Thus, reflectors are an inferior redundant accessory that greatly contributes to your nubile factor.

let's see some pictures of the bike!!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with any tubeless tire setups or clipless pedals as a beginner.

Nothing wrong with either setup, but they are just going to add another layer of complexity to riding that I don't think you need right now. Just go out and ride and figure out what your ACTUAL needs are. You might find that both of those suggestions will be of little benefit to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight.

I think I will wait on purchasing upgrades for my bike for the time being, I really just want to get adjusted with riding it and how all the components work.

I have a tendency to go upgrade crazy when there is an option, and in my tiny mind, more expensive is always best. I guess what I am saying is that a bike that retailed for $1100 should be good enough for a fat fellow like myself thats new to riding.

Although, I might have to do something about that seat, my arse is not liking it right now :(

I will have pics soon, just being lazy with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.