Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(also posted in the 29er forum)
Would like to jump into the 29er world and was looking at the above bikes. I like the looks of the Cannondale 4 but I am concerned about the rock shock fork in terms of stiffness on the trails. Have heard great things about the Lefty but have never ridden one other than a parking lot ride. What other forks would be suitable for a heavier rider. Thanks,
p.s rider wt ranges from 210 low - 230ish on the high side -

·
Registered
144 Posts
two6labs said:
Get a lefty.... Stiffest fork on the market and @ 225lbs you will notice a big difference.:thumbsup:
That's marketing. There may be a difference but is it worthy to everyone?

XC fork never be subjected to this kind of loading. Have you ever turned the handle bar using more than 100 lb-ft during normal riding in order to demo the torsional stiffness? Also, you already've flown over the handle bar if the fork is subjected to the kind of loading shown by the cannondale promotional guy.

Lefty is good for making a lighter, smoother, and stiffer package and I wish I have one too but not everyone can justify the price and maintenance hassles.

If anyone like a lefty, he should buy the whole fork + frame package but cannondale make it available to higher end models only.

·
Fixin' shocks Day & Night
270 Posts
kuiwing said:
That's marketing. There may be a difference but is it worthy to everyone?

XC fork never be subjected to this kind of loading. Have you ever turned the handle bar using more than 100 lb-ft during normal riding in order to demo the torsional stiffness? Also, you already've flown over the handle bar if the fork is subjected to the kind of loading shown by the cannondale promotional guy.

Lefty is good for making a lighter, smoother, and stiffer package and I wish I have one too but not everyone can justify the price and maintenance hassles.

If anyone like a lefty, he should buy the whole fork + frame package but cannondale make it available to higher end models only.
:nono:
It is not just marketing my friend, it is also physics.... Being that the rider in question is 225lbs The forces exurted on the fork are much more. That means the lefty will be the best buy for the rider... That answers the question he asked... The FOX is a great fork and it is stiffer than the DART with out a doubt... But that is not what he asked... Also you may want to check prices because most FOX forks are almost the same price as the lefty's .

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify - would be buying the Lefty with the bike as

a complete package. Just trying to decide if it is worth buying the next level of bike. The videos may be "just marketing" but I'm not so sure I would want to put all of my bodyweight on a Dart like they do to the Lefty in the video. Another bike that I am considering would be one of the geared Redlines (D440 ? not sure of numbering) with a full rigid fork but they are "order only" amongst the local bike shops.
Thanks for the replies - the video itself was excellent. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I don't know how strong a Dart fork is, but I compared my Lefty back to back with a Fox F100. The Fox perfect just fine. I doubt one would be unhappy with it at all. This was technical single track.

But I did notice a bit of nervousness on the Fox at slightly higher speeds over some bumpy sections.

Now I got a chance to ride a bike with a Fox 140mm w/15mm axle. That fork felt surprisingly similar to a Lefty. I was going down some bumpy foothills in S.Cal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
two6labs said:
:... Also you may want to check prices because most FOX forks are almost the same price as the lefty's .
My LBS (in Asia) lists Fox RLC at $6000 and the 09 RLC OPI Lefty at $11800 almost twice as a Fox. What about your area??

Are you talking about alloy lefties only?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I vote for the lefty. My wife's bike has a Dart on it that is warranty replacement for the first one that crapped out. She doesn't ride much or very hard but toasted the first damper pretty quick and she's around 130 lbs or so. It just seems kinda cheap, not very supple and not very adjustable. I ride at about 210 lbs and LOVED my lefty and miss it but there isn't a 160mm version so I'm riding a Fox now (which seems fine so far). A question has to be what the cost difference is between the bikes. I imagine that you will get better components all around and, as a hardware junkie, I fully support buying the best bike you can afford.

RideON!
Scott.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought the Cannondale Caffiene 4 29er since my budget was right around a grand, and the bike was $800 at the LBS. I read horrible reviews on the Dart fork, but so far I think it's fine.

I'm pretty new at riding though, so I don't know if I realize what I'm missing. I used to ride an M300 rigid cannondale...so any suspension is better. I can't justify spending another $350 - $500 for a shock when the stock one is fine for rides, and even technical parts.

I don't know the difference in prices/qualities of a shock. It travels enough to lessen the impact...what will a better shock feel like?

X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts