Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search is down to 2 bikes. I am having trouble finding demos so it looks like I am going to buy one without trying it. I have been searching but have not seen a good comparison of these 2 bikes which seem to fall very much into the same category. I am very much looking for a trail bike that goes up easy and descends reasonably well.

I ride in New England - Rocks and Roots with some dirt in-between...
I like to ride twisty technical singletrack and an average ride is about 15 mi and hopefully going up as I get in better shape.
I weight 250 + gear and am 6'3"

I hate climbing so the better climber would be good. Nimble would be good as well.

I currently ride a DW Link Iron Horse MKIII Elite and love it though a little stiffer would be good.

Some pros and cons of each would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
335 Posts
Look at http://www.competitivecyclist.com for their demo program. You can demo the Sultan for $300 for the week which would be applied to a purchase. Not sure about the Niner.

I just finished a week on the Sultan and found some strong positive but also some very strong negatives. There are some who love the Sultan and will strongly voice their opinion. I won't be buying a Sultan.

The Sultan was very cush (sofa like) and handled all types of bumps well. The suspension worked very well on the roots and rocks (I'm in NJ but tested in the mountains of NC). So what did I not like? It is not a bike that is made to be able to stand and pedal. If you remain seated on all climbs, it does fine. I could not find a comfortable position to climb standing without it spinning out or just being flat out awkward. In addition, I found it to be heavy and difficult to get the front-end up. It was just not nimble. Sure you could build it lighter (test bike was 29 to 30 lbs), but it was just not as nimble as the Lenz Lunchbox at 31 lbs that I ride more often. I won't get into a chainstay argument. Finally, for whatever reason, the Sultan did not fit one of the guys I ride with who is my height. It depends on the length of your femur and shins but his knees and ankles were hitting on suspension pieces. Maybe he's just built weird - I had no problems.
In summary, I would not call the Sultan nimble.

I have a Niner One9 that I like and I hear great things about the new Rip9. Depending on where you are, you can probably find a way to demo a Rip9. I think if you go to PA and visit Speedgoat, you could test one but I'm not positive on that.

If you already like the DW Link Iron Horse, you may be right at home on the Sultan. It doesn't work for me. There are so many interesting bikes coming on the market right now - Intense Tracer looks interesting. The Carbon Santa Cruz Tall Boy may have too low of a bottom bracket for our NE rocks and roots. I'm still partial to the Lenz Leviathan (4") or the Lunchbox/Behemoth because of their short chainstays and higher bottom bracket. Then you have all kinds of guys like Specialized, Fisher, etc. A good time to be looking for a 29er.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Hard to make a "bad" choice with these two but for just an off the cuff opinion (worthless banter in other words) but if you are pleased with the DW on your current ride that is one point to the turner but I would also think the Sultan would most likely prove to be a bit stiffer especially for your 6'3 250lb stats-

The RIP 9 has had a bunch of updates and appears to be a nice rig in it's latest dress but still not quite as proven (in it's newly revised form...). Sure is pretty though...

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Just look up the old Sultan vs. Rip threads. I think that both designs have been improved about tit for tat. Other than brand loyalty, USA vs Overseas production, and personal preference you can't go wrong with either of the frames.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Both suspensions are the best two designs. The Sultan has a slacker headangle by a degree or so, if I remember right. This is a tough choice and I can see people split between the two. In other words, I can't help you decide in this case. :)

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
I would buy the RIP because it is cheaper and they are essentially equivalent bikes in my mind.

Both very good with their quirks noted above.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone experience an issue with the link hanging down on the RIP? It looks like trouble with all the rocks around here....

Crash... thanks for pointing out the tracer... back up to 3 possibles....

Thanks for all the info thus far

·
Registered
814 Posts
You can't go wrong, the forged links and hrdroformed tubing on the RIP are appealing to me but the Made in the USA is too.. suspension design eh their both multi-link rear ends and established time tested designs known to work well. I own an older RIP and will be making the same choice in about a year.. no help I know LOL

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
I 'm 6 ' 3 " and about 220 and absolutely dig my DW Sultan......one issue I had ( that will be resolved soon ) is with a 180 mm narrow designed crankset rubbing the elevated chainstay when really pushin it ! To each his own ! :) TIG

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Other than it being a LITTLE more bike than needed for 100-mile endurance races, I have only great things to say about the Sultan. Coming off the original version, the new DW version is the "Cake and Eat It Too" experience of better pedaling, plusher on the rough stuff, and just as stiff as the original. It just flat out flies through the pedaling chunk of roots, rocks, etc.

Haven't ridden the RIP, but for me, the combo of made in USA, bushings over bearings, and incomparable Turner customer service seals the deal.

·
Chilling out
6,034 Posts
e-mail (or PM) both Turner and Niner and ask them their opinion of a 250# rider on technical terrain on their bikes.

In my VERY limited experience, heavy riders on light bikes on technical terrain does NOT always make for a more long lived relationship.

The Turner, FWIW, may be built a bit more sturdy. I seem to remember the Turner bikes running heavier than other vendor's counterparts.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea.. I think I ask ask each manufacturers opinions as well. I want to have the bike for a while and I am just one of those big people so durability is huge... At 235 I can see my abs so I am not getting to much lighter.

The tracer is interesting and I wonder how sturdy it will be. I actually got to ride a spider and it seemed a little flexy...

·
Registered
997 Posts
both are about 7.4 lbs for a large. both rears are very stiff, i would say the rip9 a little more (buy my RIB9 has DT Swiss Through bolts whereas the SUltan I rode regular QR). the front of the rip9 has tapered headtube what stiffens the front quite a bit (together with a tapered fork). also, the rip9 has guides for the remote of joplin seatpost. however, i doubt that you will have any problems with the stiffness or the integrity of either bike.

both climb very well.

major difference is in the geometry. the sultan has longer chainstays and a slacker geometry. IMO it rides like a tractor what is not exactly what i like on mountain bikes. for this reason i sold my sultan v1 only after a couple of months and decided after test riding the v2 as well as the niner to go for the rib9. havn't looked back since.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
JeremyFXDWG said:
Yea.. I think I ask ask each manufacturers opinions as well. I want to have the bike for a while and I am just one of those big people so durability is huge... At 235 I can see my abs so I am not getting to much lighter.

The tracer is interesting and I wonder how sturdy it will be. I actually got to ride a spider and it seemed a little flexy...
each manufacturer will tell you "no problem"

Your weight is not an issue for either bike.

You are better off choosing based on color, price and other intangibles because these bikes are more similar than different.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
FWIW, Sultan V1 definitely had a bit of the above-mentioned "tractor feel", especially with a fork longer than 100 mm.

Sultan V2, even with more travel, is more nimble than V1. A nervous xc race bike feel? Not even close, but for me, the perfect compromise between tight trail handling and bomber DH stability.

Don't know about the Tracer's stiffness, but at 235, you'd be flexing the Spyder like a fishing rod with a trophy catch on the line.

·
Your Best Friend
5,445 Posts
I haven't ridden the RIP9 so I can't compare. I have read other comments comparing the two and I've noticed a trend. A bunch of people are saying the RIP9 is more nimble/lighter/faster/ than the Sultan. I know neither of these bikes are designed for racing but I know the Sultan is being raced by quite a few people and I have never heard of the RIP9 being raced. If all those traits were true, wouldn't the RIP9 be raced more than the Sultan? I race mine, Kosmo races his, 6th Element races his V1 as do Benny and Greenlightgo.

I'm not saying you'll want to race the bike but, If the Sultan really handled like a tractor, or if the weight was a prohibitive factor, or even if it wasn't stiff, would that many people be using it as an XC or endurance race bike?

I could be wrong, If I am it just means that people are slacking and should be posting more pics of their exploits on their RIP9's.

Here's my eye candy....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts