Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that there are many threads on the avid juicy/elixir problems and I have read through all of them. I am just curious if anyone out there with an 09 Remedy 9 is having the same crazy rear brake vibration that I am. I figure same stock bike should have the same problem, right? Or did I just get a lemon? So, do you have an 09 Remedy 9 and if so are you having any problems with the rear brake? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically any time the rear brake is applied the whole bike vibrates violently. If I drag the brake lightly, it doesn't do it. Also if I brake really hard it doesn't, but any useful amount of pressure to the lever makes the bike vibrate and significantly reduces the effectiveness of the brake. Just curious, what size frame do you have? And is everything stock?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a large frame and mine's completely stock except for a couple of doodads. It sounds to me like a warped rotor or maybe even a bad hub. At light braking, the pads aren't getting the full effect of the warp and at hard braking, the pads are straightening the rotor out. Anything in between and the warped rotor transfers through to the pads and the rest of the bike - my guess. I had a bad hub on mine that was resulting in poor shifting and I think Trek hasn't had the greatest luck with those wheelsets from some of the posts that I've read. See if you can't get your LBS to let you bum another wheel and try it in the parking lot and see what happens. Good luck.

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
I had the same happening but to a front XT on my 08 R8. Solved by changing pads. It was so bad sometimes I thought the bike would disintegrate itself.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My wife's Remedy had some vibration going on, too. I took to the rotor with a little sandpaper, and the vibration subsided. I used a light sandpaper, and gently applied it to the rotor surface...almost like I was cleaning the rotors.

Anyhow, I think this is a brake issue...and not necessarily specific to the Remedy.

Bonty hubs, XT hydro brakes w/ stock rotors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I thought that might be the problem too, but I shaved and the problem persists! Actually, its not a beard, they are out of control sideburns that I am only allowed to rock for 'cross season, as per an agreement with my wife. Only 3 more months til they return though...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or maybe I'll grow 'em back a little early this year just for you E, I won't have any problems crossing the border looking like that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think some kind of facial hair growing contest would be a nice addition to the trip--maybe mustache, maybe sideburns, maybe both? JP grows a mean mustache if you've never seen it.

I digress. I had the same issue w/ the Juicy 7's on my SL. Cleaning the pads seemed to help, but the problem would always come back. It would shake so violently that I actually thought I had lost some of the pivot bolts and the rear end was coming off. Can't help but wonder if new pads wouldn't clear up the issue for you...new pads and a sweet mustache.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately, I cannot grow a sweet mustache, unless you consider thin, blonde, and child molester-esque sweet. Though I do agree that if I were capable of said sweet mustache, it would certainly solve all of my problems, bike and otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts