Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NMBP
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the 2009 100mm Reba Race to 120mm? Or is the 120 a separate beast? I know the 80mm and 100mm can be converted using a spacer. I am getting conflicting info here. (The new Fox 120mm chassis is basically different from the 80 and 100 versions.)
Thanks, and Happy New Year! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Yes, you can quite easily convert it to 120mm by removing the spacer. I had to remove the lowers to do mine...I tried the old method of pushing the stack up through the top of the fork & most of the stack stayed in the leg :D

Just follow the instructions you can download off their web site & you should be fine.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I bought an 80mm reba for my wife & removed both spacers for 120mm of travel. The fork was never ridden prior to changing the travel so no comparison can be made. Be sure to examine your post mounts prior to installing the fork. Make sure you can thread the bolts in easily...otherwise you will have to remove the paint overspray with stripper or by tapping the threads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Too much misinformation

gfs69 said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the 2009 100mm Reba Race to 120mm? Or is the 120 a separate beast? I know the 80mm and 100mm can be converted using a spacer. I am getting conflicting info here. (The new Fox 120mm chassis is basically different from the 80 and 100 versions.)
Thanks, and Happy New Year! :thumbsup:
I was looking into the same thing for my wife's new bike and had trouble getting a straight answer on this. Why is it that on SRAM's website they say that the Reba Race and SL can only run at 80mm or 100mm? It will be great if we could indeed convert one of those to run at 120mm. Anyone know if the same goes for the SL?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
nope not necessarily... but it sure is fun to play with :)... also gives you a little tunability in your geometry :)

i've got a g2 fork on my KM... at 80mm it was a tad quick... @ 100mm it's perfect... tad more upright... basicly it handles like the stock KM did... but with a little taller BB (good for me)

on the other hand a friend of mine rides a RITA... 100mm stock... he's running and loving a fox g2 fork @ 80mm...

different strokes

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
thirteen10 said:
I was looking into the same thing for my wife's new bike and had trouble getting a straight answer on this. Why is it that on SRAM's website they say that the Reba Race and SL can only run at 80mm or 100mm? It will be great if we could indeed convert one of those to run at 120mm. Anyone know if the same goes for the SL?
The 80/100mm forks might not have enough extra stanchion to have full bushing support when extended to 120mm. I don't know for sure, but that is certainly a strong possibility that they would minimize weight on the more XC 80/100 forks by cutting them shorter than the 120mm version. Even if that is the case, it should still technically work

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was looking up a spare part from their Spare Parts Catalog, and on the REBA page (pg 38) note #9 on the bottom says "Reba 29er with standard quick release (not Maxle Lite): maximum travel setting = 100mm. Reba 29er Maxle Lite: maximum travel setting = 120mm."

May be the CYA lawyer-ese, but it's something and one heck of an odd place to post it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.