Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the "official" post for the ride. Key details for the start are:
When: Saturday, Jan. 24, 2009
Time: 8:30 am FIP (Feet In Pedals...meaning start riding. It's a long day; be on time)
Where: Stage at the east end of the Basha's parking lot on the SW corner of Bell Rd. and Thompson Peak Parkway in NE Scottsdale

Details for the ride are as follows:
- What: 33+ miles of riding and ~6,900 feet of climbing in the McDowell Mountains, including four "Bypasses" - Windgate Pass, Bell Pass, Sunrise, and Windgate Pass again.
- Route: Up Windgate Pass (first Bypass), down the backside and over to Bell Pass(second), down Bell, over Paradise to Quartz/Lost Dog/Old Jeep Road to Sunrise, up and over Sunrise (third), over to Golden Eagle and Dixie Mine, Dixie Mine to Coachwhip, and up to Windgate again (fourth), down Windgate and back to the cars.
- Terrain: Mostly all singletrack, not any real technical stuff, but lots of rocks, strenous climbing and steep descending with plenty of switchbacks. And did I say plenty of rocks? And cacti? And switchbacks?
- Support: This is a self-supported ride. Bring the food, water and gear you need for 6-8 hours of backcountry desert riding.
- Water: There is water at the bottom of Sunrise (after climbing and descending it), and at Golden Eagle in Fountain Hills.
- Beer/Flask: Up to you. Some have toasted each Bypass in the past, one way or the other.
- Bail-out points: You can bail after the doing the first two bypasses (after coming down Bell), which will be close to the cars. You can also bail before or after climbing and descending Sunrise, which will require 5-7 miles of road riding to get back to the cars. After we make it to Golden Eagle, you might as well finish it up, though you can bail if you get a ride.
- These are multi-use trails, and some of them (Lost Dog, Sunrise) get alot of hiker traffic. We need to be respectful of the other trail users, particularly on downhills.

This is not a beginner ride due to the length and amount of climbing - I'd call it B+. And while not "technical," there are plenty of opportunities for carnage, so don't underestimate it. The recent Double had a broken wrist and a messed-up ankle.

This is a social group ride, not a race, though I expect there to be at least one fast breakaway group. Really fast guys have done this in 4 1/2 - 5 hours, IIRC.

For the rest of us, I would budget 8 hours for this ride, though we should finish somewhere between 6 1/2 - 8 hours, depending on a myriad number of variables. NOTE: While a social ride, we are going to keep the pace moving, and keep the stops brief. In other words, if someone is lagging by 30 minutes, they'll need to know the route.

Link to the pre-ride thread, where you can link through to previous ride reports:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=468715

GPS data from the 2007 ride:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=265711&highlight=Quadruple

RSVP in this thread, if you can, so we have a sense of the number.

See ya...

waltaz

·
Something goes here...
2,087 Posts
I'm in for the suffering. Although, I'll be going 1x9 as this would be ludicrous on a SS. I'll sandbag near the back until close to the end when I won't be sandbagging as I'll just be dead.

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
Now this sounds like a blast, I done all but Sundrise but never all the others together in one day. Too far out to commit right now but more than likely I will be there on my S.S. I rode windgate to bell pass for the first time a couple weeks ago and a 32x18t on a 29er was a little too tough for me so if I can go, I'll gear to a 32x19t and I think I'll be able to ride a hell of a lot more then. But this gear will suck on the other trails around there, how is Sunrise compared to Windgate?

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
I'm in.

The flask will stay home though. It will numb my wits, and I must have them all. For if I'm senseless or if I wail, then Longshanks will have broken me.

:cool:

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TacoBeer said:
Now this sounds like a blast, I done all but Sundrise but never all the others together in one day. Too far out to commit right now but more than likely I will be there on my S.S. I rode windgate to bell pass for the first time a couple weeks ago and a 32x18t on a 29er was a little too tough for me so if I can go, I'll gear to a 32x19t and I think I'll be able to ride a hell of a lot more then. But this gear will suck on the other trails around there, how is Sunrise compared to Windgate?
A. That's a BALLIN' gear on a 29'er SS on Windgate. I hurt just reading about it.
B. rockcrusher is a strong mo-fo, and he's going 32 x 22 for this; I'd say go 21T in back.
C. Sunrise is shorter than Windgate, and somewhat "easier," but it's relative, and will suck at that point in the ride.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I really want to do this...but I've been off the bike for awhile...so I'm not sure if I'd be up to it.

I haven't even ridden these trails before...guess I have some work to do!

I'll let you know for sure after I do some reconnaissance.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
CactusJoe said:
I'm in.

The flask will stay home though. It will numb my wits, and I must have them all. For if I'm senseless or if I wail, then Longshanks will have broken me.

:cool:
that's just crazy talk. :crazy: but packing light is not a bad idea, and you can still thumb thy nose at yon Longhshanks.
i'm in.

and beginning my shameless promotion of the Church of the Unlabeled Beer Parking Lot Happy Hour. or, we crash Walt's garage. i don't care give me my beer when i finish!

·
Happy trails
437 Posts
i'll be attending...

looking forward to the ride.i'll give it a go at finishing this quad.i had to bail at sunrise last time due to time constraints ( always a good excuse that can't be verified ):thumbsup:
had a copy of walt's ( i think they were his idea ) handy pocket sized map to get back to the parking lot.
sounds like ther won't be a re-fueling station at the golden eagle stop this time.
oh, those were the days.peanut butter and cookies never tasted to sweet:D

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
waltaz said:
A. That's a BALLIN' gear on a 29'er SS on Windgate. I hurt just reading about it.
B. rockcrusher is a strong mo-fo, and he's going 32 x 22 for this; I'd say go 21T in back.
C. Sunrise is shorter than Windgate, and somewhat "easier," but it's relative, and will suck at that point in the ride.
Ya! 21t sounds like a better option but I don't have that so I must suffer a 19t rear. I still expect to walk some of windgate and sunrise from what you tell me so I will creep along in the back and if it hurts too much I'll just hit the local bar at the top of Bell pass. Well, it sounds like I am in for sure now

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
NardoSS said:
I hear that flat NON-clipless pedals are the way to go on these rides. :D ;)
I rode my Lenz with those clippy pedal things last two rides (Hawes/Pass and mega SoMo) and felt like I was flying up the hill! I love flats on the DHs but am not sold on the uphill part of the dealio. I'll be clipped in for the Quad!! I learned that lesson the hard way :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.